York MP Rachael Maskell resigns Labour front bench to oppose Article 50
The York MP and Shadow Defra Secretary Rachael Maskell has confirmed that she will step down from her position on the Labour front bench to vote against triggering Article 50.
The Labour MP has been consulting with her constituents over the last few days, and has said that the Government's plans for Brexit create an "unjustifiable level of risk".
The announcement makes her the fourth shadow minister to reign over tonight's vote, which will pave the way for Britain to leave the EU.
A number of other Labour frontbenchers have also confirmed they will oppose the Bill, despite the... read more
- 12:32 Twin town project success
- 12:31 New charity shop with coffee bar set to open at Asfordby
- 12:31 How and why Yorkshire must lead the way in tackling air pollution –...
- 12:31 Previews Arts ahead: March 21, 2019
- 12:30 Internationally-renowned Derbyshire tourist attractions appeal for...
- 12:30 Great Horwood teenager presents Harry Kane with player of the year...
- 12:30 Firm radiates with pride over Queen’s Award
- 12:30 New plans for £4m medical centre to replace GP surgeries revealed
- 12:29 Residents' shock after Ashfield Co-op targeted by armed robbers
- 12:29 'We are petrified every day' - Stourbridge residents react after...
- 12:29 First picture of Arthur 'Bob' Gumbley's twisted killer Jason...
- 12:29 Wigan Council reclaim £2m in overpaid housing benefits
- 12:27 Miners pension campaigners optimistic after meeting minister
- 12:27 Remainer Nottinghamshire residents gearing up for People’s Vote march
- 12:27 Knife pressed against 13-year-old girl in Kettering
- 12:26 Plans for new centre at heart of IAMP set for £33million boost: Key...
- 12:26 ‘Boom’ This is the EFL update Birmingham City fear most
- 12:26 ‘I f****** love’ Why Leeds United and West Brom are scared of Aston...
- 12:26 Man arrested on suspicion of rape after woman attacked in...
- 12:25 Miners pension campaigners optimistic after meeting minister
- 12:23 Remainer Nottinghamshire residents gearing up for People’s Vote march
- 12:23 Lancaster knife attack teenager loses appeal
- 12:23 Crooked South Tyneside finance boss ordered to give back just £1...
- 12:21 Meghan Markle's brother breaks down on TV as he pleads to meet baby
- 12:21 Boy, 16, jailed over Alesha MacPhail abduction, rape and murder
- 12:20 Man, 20, found guilty of pensioner's 'brutal' murder after burglary
- 12:19 Man charged after 'storming round Ilkeston Specsavers with bat'
- 12:19 Juan Guaidó claims Venezuelan agents arrested his chief of staff
- 12:18 Celebrate Easter with this Scottish chippy’s deep-fried Creme Egg...
- 12:18 Wasps 'can salvage something' from 'difficult' season