Yiddish may be a TURKISH dialect: DNA study suggests it was invented by Jews as they traded on the Silk Road
It may have been spoken for 1,000 years, but the origins of Yiddish – the language of Ashkenazic Jews – has been a bone of contention between linguists for years.
Now researchers say the DNA of Yiddish speakers may have originated from four ancient villages in north-eastern Turkey.
And they believe the Yiddish language was invented by Iranian and Ashkenazic Jews as they traded on the Silk Road, challenging the popular idea it is an old German dialect.
Scientists at the Universities of Sheffield and Tel Aviv used a tool dubbed the Geographic Population Structure (GPS) to convert DNA data... read more
- 01:58 New vintage shop hosts 60 Northampton-based traders all under one roof
- 01:50 Government to ban unethical puppy and kitten farms in England
- 01:47 Solat Chaudhry: Win the fight for gender equality and we will all...
- 01:47 Peter Lilley: Nothing to fear if we decide on a no-deal Brexit
- 01:47 Dilys Price: The 86-year-old parachutist turned Helmut Lang model
- 01:47 Bernard Ingham: No future for Labour unless it ditches Jeremy Corbyn
- 01:42 Legal action plan as locked out householders at Glasgow School of...
- 01:42 Thug who planted nail bomb at neighbour's home after brothel feud...
- 01:42 'Puppy farmers' captured on video as they transport caged dogs...
- 01:42 School gates row mum punched love rival on nose over husband's...
- 01:42 BrewDog launches 'beer hotel' with craft brew on TAP in every room...
- 01:42 'Grotesque' killer driver jailed for Trafford Park crash
- 01:37 Timor-Leste praises Witness K's actions in helping resolve maritime...
- 01:34 Police officer breastfeeds malnourished baby
- 01:33 'I'm at a loss' - Mark Robins slams his Coventry City players as...
- 00:53 Sudoku 4,145 medium
- 00:43 Tui's 'misleading' summer holiday advert banned
- 00:43 Children 'getting sight problems because of eye test delays'
- 00:37 Corbyn criticises May over refugees after Glasgow eviction threat
- 00:28 Car boot sale this weekend
- 00:28 Ravensthorpe takeaway shut due to rats
- 00:28 Religious order to stand trial over horrific abuse
- 00:27 Cricket is tackling sexism in India's schools
- 00:26 California congressman Duncan Hunter and wife charged with corruption
- 00:26 Rail works and strikes to disrupt August bank holiday travel
- 00:25 Newcastle news: Jamaal Lascelles insists there is no need to panic...
- 00:25 Aston Villa news: Steve Bruce praises Alan Hutton fitness and...
- 00:20 Will Smith stuns shoppers as he dresses as a Boots sales assistant...
- 00:20 Truth behind Katie Price's finance problems exposed as reality star...
- 00:20 LazyTown actor Stefan Karl Stefansson dies aged 43