WW1 soldiers' farewell notes on Llangollen bridge lost to damp
As he waited for the train to take him to the front, one soldier took a pencil and wrote of his hope of seeing his unborn baby.
But AJ Candy would never get his wish as he was killed in battle in the World War One.
Now it is feared his farewell note and others written by soldiers on the bricks of a bridge in Llangollen, Denbighshire, could be lost forever.
There are concerns damp could erase them unless action is taken.
The signatures, scrawled on the bricks under the bridge close to Berwyn station, are thought to have been etched onto the wall as the soldiers waited to be taken to Flanders... read more
- 19:24 'We have high fences' West Brom fans react to Marcelo Bielsa's...
- 19:24 'A Garry Monk masterclass' How Birmingham City fans responded to...
- 19:23 Private training company sparks armed police response after staged...
- 19:23 Bigfoot bafflement, a spinning ice disc and today's other odd stories
- 19:23 Delays into night as train tragedy kills one and injures another
- 19:22 Theresa May has 48 hours to deliver Brexit ‘Plan B’ or risk...
- 19:22 May's government survives no confidence vote
- 19:20 Melbourne becomes first city with all council infrastructure...
- 19:20 Moa for sale: trade in extinct birds' bones threatens New Zealand's...
- 19:20 Hillsborough police chief lacked knowledge of hazards, court hears
- 19:20 Industry alliance sets out $1bn to tackle oceans' plastic waste
- 19:20 Damian Hinds to lobby Treasury for multi-year education funds
- 19:18 Theresa May wins as Corbyn’s no confidence motion fails
- 19:18 Theresa May survives bid to force her from office
- 19:17 Streets shut in Wigan after 'structural problems' found with town...
- 19:16 Democrats ask Trump to delay State of the Union speech
- 19:13 Six in 10 wild coffee species endangered by habitat loss
- 19:13 ‘Living medicine’ helps make toxic ammonia breakthrough
- 19:13 Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa admits to watching...
- 19:12 Woman filmed dragging crying boy, 5, across hospital floor by his hair
- 19:11 Children living next door to tragic Birstall explosion site in...
- 19:11 Why council is paying compensation to man who has complained about...
- 19:10 NATIONAL: Toddler cried out ‘mummy’ before he was deliberately...
- 19:09 Theresa May attacked ahead of no confidence vote for ‘no authority...
- 19:09 Witham traders 'will lose money' as North Bridge closure causes...
- 19:04 Patisserie Valerie says its accounts were 'significantly manipulated'
- 19:04 Hundreds of new council homes will be built in Sheffield
- 19:04 LIVE – Prime Minister Theresa May faces vote of no confidence
- 19:03 Hull's NHS shells out £12m in a year in negligence claims
- 19:03 LIVE – Prime Minister Theresa May faces vote of no confidence