World's rarest stick insects breed and produce eggs at Bristol Zoo as part of 'huge boost' for conservation effort
Keepers at Bristol Zoo Gardens are celebrating after breeding the world's rarest stick insect.
Five Lord Howe Island stick insect eggs, also known as tree lobsters, were discovered at the zoo on New Year's Eve.
The zoo's effort to save the species from extinction began in 2015, when 300 eggs arrived from Melbourne Zoo in Australia.
Six animals reached adulthood – three breeding pairs – and produced eggs, which started hatching in May 2017.
Five of those eggs survived and two have now produced eggs of their own, which has been described by experts as a 'huge boost' for the conservation... read more
- 16:29 World leaders laugh openly at Donald Trump during UN summit
- 16:28 Top tips to avoid being tricked by fraudsters into parting with...
- 16:25 Three ways Tony Pulis can get Middlesbrough firing ahead of Preston...
- 16:25 Saudi Arabia opens high-speed rail linking Islam's holy cities
- 16:22 Cyclist suffers a number of injuries following collision on...
- 16:22 Splendour Festival, Rescue Rooms and Pale Waves at Dot To Dot all...
- 16:21 KFC restaurant and drive-thru in pipeline for A1 at Markham Moor
- 16:20 Appeal to find thieves targeting popular Doncaster park
- 16:19 ‘There are still some people in the city who refuse point blank to...
- 16:19 Body found in Corby’s Boating Lake
- 16:19 Traffic warnings ahead of Kenilworth horse fair
- 16:18 The third annual I Can’t Believe It’s Not The Ballon d’Or awards
- 16:18 Annemiek van Vleuten defends world time trial title as Dutch riders...
- 16:18 How Coventry students helped inspire Africa's next sporting stars
- 16:17 Johnson excited to face United's stars as Derby County head to Old...
- 16:17 New wristband warns when you've been been in the sun too long
- 16:17 Homes evacuated in Leicester after car crashes into house causing...
- 16:16 Village of Hickling goes on a space odyssey for scarecrow festival
- 16:16 Pret a Manger had NINE sesame seed allergy complaints before...
- 16:16 Will you wow the Britain’s Got Talent judges in Blackpool?
- 16:16 Chelsea drop Eden Hazard selection hint ahead of Liverpool clash
- 16:16 Todd Martin assesses if Roger Federer can make the Laver Cup a...
- 16:15 Historic manor house on sale near Sunderland for £1.5m
- 16:13 Gainsborough student ridiculed online for wearing beret on...
- 16:13 Two men wanted after morning stabbing near Daventry industrial estate
- 16:13 Traffic warnings ahead of Kenilworth horse fair
- 16:12 Hundreds join Balsall Common fun run to support bereaved parents
- 16:12 Glendale society launches silage competition for 2018
- 16:12 Chelsea news: Gianfranco Zola claims star is RIGHT to be upset with...
- 16:11 Review: Get Well Soon is a classic Mikron Theatre production