Work starts to fill in city's underground loos
It will be the end of an era for one area of the city centre as work begins on filling in the Upper Precinct's underground toilets.
The ongoing work at the Upper Precinct is to fill in the long-forgotten underground toilets, which were once a huge part of the city centre shopping experience.
Workers started preparing the area for development at the end of last year, putting up fences around the former toilets.
When they were closed down nearly 20 years ago, they were simply left as they were and sealed up.
That means that they are currently, essentially, hollow holes under the pavement.
But... read more
- 07:29 The SNP’s position is most surprising, with almost endless delay on...
- 07:27 British girl, 9, dies after eating ice cream on Costa Del Sol holiday
- 07:27 Fresh bid to build log cabins for tourists on old pit site
- 07:27 Chris Hemsworth to play Hulk Hogan in big-screen biopic
- 07:27 North East news, traffic and travel LIVE: What you need to know
- 07:26 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:23 Leeds news LIVE: Man jailed over mobile cannabis farm | Latest M62...
- 07:23 Teachers to join climate protests to demand curriculum reform
- 07:23 'Google isn't interested in degrees': is the UK snobby about...
- 07:22 Updates: Police seal off Sara Park in Small Heath
- 07:21 Celtic team news: Predicted 4-2-3-1 Europa League line-up to face...
- 07:21 Liverpool hero John Barnes slams Reds fans over ‘negativity’ ahead...
- 07:18 Investors sink cash into Scottish car parks
- 07:18 Money Club took £5,978 from my elderly mother
- 07:18 Ministers urged to provide rescue package for ailing high streets
- 07:17 Chelsea news: Callum Hudson-Odoi future in balance after fresh...
- 07:17 Arsenal boss Unai Emery denies Gunners have mental block ahead of...
- 07:15 £800m revamp will never see light of day
- 07:15 Man lucky to survive collision with lorry on busy Sheffield road
- 07:13 Random Acts of Kindness Day can be every day with volunteering
- 07:13 Striker speaks out as those Coventry City rumours are addressed
- 07:12 Chinese port bans imports of Australian coal, sending dollar tumbling
- 07:12 This is how long Hause, Bonatini and Rafa Mir have left on their...
- 07:12 'I came to Peru to survive': Venezuelans migrating for HIV drugs
- 07:12 'What the hell is Rafa doing?' The Newcastle United verdict on West...
- 07:12 Arsenal, Manchester United, Celtic and Everton chase £20m striker...
- 07:07 The big applications granted planning permission in Northampton...
- 07:07 Derek Hatton: The people of Wavertree must be given the chance to vote
- 07:07 Liam Noble hails impact of Craig Hignett as manager brings "buzz"...
- 07:06 ‘Crucial’ need to safeguard Yorkshire’s protected landscapes