Woolly mammoth bone discovered on shore near Stranraer
A bone believed to have come from a woolly mammoth has been discovered on the south of Scotland coastline.
The find was made near Stranraer by Nic Coombey, co-ordinator of the Solway Coastwise project.
He said he realised straight away that it was an "extraordinary thing" due to its size.
It has now been passed to National Museums Scotland to carry out tests in order to find out exactly how old the bone might be.
Woolly mammoth skeleton sold in France Italian schoolgirl unearths woolly mammoth bone "About a month ago I was walking on a beach near to Stranraer as part of my... read more
- 01:41 British tourist killed in hit-and-run in Cyprus
- 01:39 Revenues top £20m for law firm Morton Fraser
- 01:39 Fife firm making a splash with lobster pod storage system
- 01:35 UK singles chart to include videos watched on YouTube
- 01:33 Greenwich observatory: Astronomers to start studying the sky again
- 01:28 Clive Betts: Now is the time to allow ‘safe standing’ in football...
- 01:26 Sunderland schoolgirl takes part in rare sea baptism in South Shields
- 01:26 Hundreds turn out to mark Armed Forces Day in South Shields
- 01:23 Mexico town's entire police force detained after murder
- 01:23 Clive Betts: Now is the time to allow ‘safe standing’ in football...
- 01:20 Is Kirklees a dinosaur?
- 01:20 $esc.html($content.name)
- 01:12 Surprise as DNA reveals new group of Native Americans: the ancient...
- 01:05 Clive Betts: Now is the time to allow ‘safe standing’ in football...
- 01:01 Clashes in Nigeria between farmers and herders kill 86
- 01:00 Baroness Sugg: Heathrow expansion will benefit all of UK
- 01:00 Jayne Dowle: Time to ban mobile phones from the classroom
- 00:54 The Yorkshire Post says: Back into battle. Treatment of military...
- 00:54 The Yorkshire Post says: Yorkshire’s future. Dan Jarvis leading...
- 00:54 Peter Gordon's panna cotta with balsamic blackberries recipe
- 00:54 The Yorkshire Post says: A new deal for rural Britain? Don’t write...
- 00:53 MPs gear up for crunch Heathrow vote without Boris Johnson
- 00:52 Train passengers stranded in Glasgow for nearly two hours due to...
- 00:52 Thousands descend on Edinburgh for Cancer Research Race For Life
- 00:47 Sir Philip Green came close to acquiring M&S in 2004, book claims
- 00:47 Little green bag: Morrisons turns to paper in war on plastic
- 00:47 Single first-time buyer in London needs 17 years to find 15%...
- 00:47 Ofgem appoints economist Martin Cave as chairman
- 00:42 Barrow model train club offer free days to local disability groups
- 00:38 Mental health services for the young is NHS's 'silent catastrophe'