Women who work: how Shonda Rhimes' TV shows excel in the workplace
At the end of the pilot episode for Grey’s Anatomy spin-off Station 19, Andy (played by Jaina Lee Ortiz) expresses the deep love she has for her work as a firefighter. “I don’t need a prize,” she tells her colleagues, “Every day here is a prize. Every life saved. Every fire put out. We’re Seattle firefighters. Station 19 is where we choose to be.”
Station 19 is, of course, not just a show about working at a fire station. It focuses on family conflicts, parent-child relationships, and romantic and sexual intrigue, all of which are mainstays in Shondaland productions. Yet the heart of the... read more
- 05:28 University of Birmingham launches new digital apprenticeship degree
- 05:28 Wolves send Jose Mourinho and Manchester United a message as Ruben...
- 05:28 West Brom boss Darren Moore gives Bakary Sako update - and talks...
- 05:28 Garry Monk gives Leeds United response as surprising Birmingham...
- 05:28 Aston Villa to take this Jack Grealish step as Steve Bruce responds...
- 05:28 Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift at sea in fishing hut
- 05:18 The true cost of our litter crisis: millions that could be spent...
- 05:18 This is the reality of life on Liverpool's most burgled street
- 05:15 China starts to assert its world view at UN as influence grows
- 05:15 New US tariffs on China take effect with no compromise in sight
- 05:06 An ageless tale of Coldstream’s braw trees
- 05:03 Victoria's Catholic education head appears to claim credit for...
- 05:03 Family of James Ricketson 'hesitant' about film-maker returning to...
- 05:02 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 04:44 Hong Kong bans pro-independence party as China tightens grip
- 04:38 Work starts on £1m media centre at Champions (UK) Plc as turnover...
- 04:20 Care job vacancies in England rise to 110,000
- 04:20 Compensation for delay-hit Northern passengers extended
- 04:17 'Modicare': India's PM promises free health care for poorest citizens
- 04:13 Esports degree: 'I won't spend three years playing games'
- 04:13 The UK's most ambitious children
- 04:13 Comment: Phoenix lands in Edinburgh
- 04:07 Child mental health: Camhs 'not fit for purpose'
- 04:07 Buckingham Palace: Man released over 'Taser' keyring error
- 04:07 Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth'
- 03:48 US-China trade: US set to impose biggest round of tariffs yet
- 03:31 Comment: Building bridges between Scotland and Ireland
- 03:31 Comment: Scouts are always prepared for business success
- 03:24 Melbourne plane crash: Pilot error in fatal shopping centre incident
- 03:24 Brett Kavanaugh: Second allegation made against court nominee