'Women are having different fantasies': romantic fiction in the age of Trump
In early November 2016, Sarah MacLean was 275 pages into writing her latest historical romance novel, The Day of the Duchess. She had hit all the right buttons – a titled (and entitled) duke; a beautiful, estranged wife touched by scandal; and an insurmountable challenge the pair had to mount before they could, well, mount each other. And then Donald Trump was elected. And MacLean couldn’t bear her hero any more.
“I woke up on 9 November and I was like, ‘I can’t write another one of these rich entitled impenetrable alphas. I just can’t,” says the New York Times bestselling author. “It was... read more
- 04:44 Hong Kong bans pro-independence party as China tightens grip
- 04:38 Work starts on £1m media centre at Champions (UK) Plc as turnover...
- 04:20 Care job vacancies in England rise to 110,000
- 04:20 Compensation for delay-hit Northern passengers extended
- 04:17 'Modicare': India's PM promises free health care for poorest citizens
- 04:13 Esports degree: 'I won't spend three years playing games'
- 04:13 The UK's most ambitious children
- 04:13 Comment: Phoenix lands in Edinburgh
- 04:07 Child mental health: Camhs 'not fit for purpose'
- 04:07 Buckingham Palace: Man released over 'Taser' keyring error
- 04:07 Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth'
- 03:48 US-China trade: US set to impose biggest round of tariffs yet
- 03:31 Comment: Building bridges between Scotland and Ireland
- 03:31 Comment: Scouts are always prepared for business success
- 03:24 Melbourne plane crash: Pilot error in fatal shopping centre incident
- 03:24 Brett Kavanaugh: Second allegation made against court nominee
- 03:14 Whitsundays shark attacks occurred in swimming 'no-go zone',...
- 03:04 Bodyguard: The critics' verdicts on BBC show's finale
- 02:54 Brexit: Labour conference vote wording agreed
- 02:43 Brett Kavanaugh faces second allegation of sexual misconduct
- 02:32 Toyota Supra 2019: first drives, prices, specs and UK release date
- 01:35 The Aquarius: Migrant rescue ship has registration revoked
- 01:29 Germany: Merkel's coalition solves spymaster dispute that rattled...
- 01:21 Obesity could overtake smoking as biggest preventable cause of...
- 01:20 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:13 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:08 Obesity could overtake smoking as biggest preventable cause of...
- 01:05 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:05 The Yorkshire Post says: A written record. How did Churchill win...
- 01:05 The Yorkshire Post says: Corbyn challenges. Labour leader must...