Wirral loan shark gets 16 months behind bars
A loan shark, who was discovered running his illegal business from his Wirral home, was jailed for 16 months today.
Liverpool Crown Court heard that police who raided Gerald Daord's home in February last year found notebooks detailing loans of more than £80,000.
But the judge who sentenced him pointed out that the true scale of the operation was difficult to assess.
Some of the loans ran into thousands of pounds and one for £500 had a repayment figure of £850.
Judge Norman Wright said people seeking such loans are vulnerable and need to be protected. "The message needs to go out to... read more
- 04:07 Everton plot Birmingham City transfer as academy graduate turns heads
- 04:07 Chairman approves Aston Villa transfer as Jack Grealish tells...
- 03:51 Cyclone Trevor: racism claims denied as Northern Territory begins...
- 03:24 Exit of NSW water minister Niall Blair offers Coalition chance for...
- 03:24 The Mueller report: key findings
- 03:19 Kenyan man detained and set to be deported after being called in...
- 03:19 An image of hope: how a local photographer captured the famous...
- 03:01 Asian stocks slump as US recession fears grip markets
- 02:22 Isleworth stabbing: Victim named as Abdirashid Mohamoud
- 01:59 William Tyrrell inquest: foster family noticed he was missing when...
- 01:55 Brexit: What is Common Market 2.0?
- 01:41 10 years of Grindr: A rocky relationship
- 01:28 Tesco begins plastic-free trial for selection of fruit and veg
- 01:19 Tim Farron: One last chance for Chris Grayling to prove himself as...
- 01:19 Jayne Dowle: Why jobs statistics tell only part of the overall...
- 01:19 Lee Rowley: How my proposed law will limit the ability of fracking...
- 01:19 The Yorkshire Post says: Home truths on housing policy as green...
- 01:11 Dead rats used to smuggle drugs and mobile phones into prison
- 01:04 Knife crime: Tony Blair says police losing knife crime battle
- 00:59 Sudoku 4,328 easy
- 00:58 Prince Charles and Camilla make history in Cuba
- 00:52 Gangs using dead rats to smuggle drugs into Dorset prison
- 00:41 UK's big broadband providers give 'shoddy' service – report
- 00:25 The vision that signalled the end of old New Street
- 00:24 Devolved and UK ministers’ mistrust spans decades and parties,...
- 00:20 'Muslims don't date, we marry'
- 00:20 Invoice scams hit 40% of firms, says report
- 00:20 Ex-Autonomy boss Mike Lynch denies new US charges
- 00:20 First and second class stamp prices rise
- 00:12 Fife worker registrations down by a third as SNP warn of...