Will cuts hit our response to crisis?
From: John Halkon, Hermitage Court, Richmond.
IN almost every edition of the Yorkshire Post in recent times, I read articles concerning cuts or changes in emergency services because of the lack of adequate funding, whether it be to the police, fire service, Enviroment Agency, NHS or local authorities (Tom Richmond, Yorkshire Post, December 1).
All of these as far as I can tell have responded exceedingly well to the two major cross-county and nationwide floods we have all experienced recently.
I know as a nation we always respond well in a crisis but I do begin to wonder if these emergency... read more
- 23:15 Polish up your pecs: women prefer strong men, say scientists
- 04:36 Wolves digest: Patricio's message; Good times ahead; Nuno's only...
- 23:15 Archaeologists find earliest evidence of bread
- 04:36 West Bromwich Albion's 2018/19 plans are finally starting to take...
- 04:36 Birmingham City plan a re-think after transfer window setback
- 23:11 VMAs 2018: Cardi B, Beyoncé and Jay-Z lead nominees
- 04:36 Aston Villa's preparations continue but the off-field issues take...
- 23:09 May narrowly heads off defeat after caving in to Brexit hardliners
- 21:44 Trump's Nato approach helped make a difference, says May
- 21:44 Sending MPs on early holiday could make all the difference for May
- 04:35 £1.5m to mend potholes in Leeds is not enough, claims leader
- 21:44 Labour plans radical selection overhaul including all BAME shortlists
- 19:37 Rocket men: locals divided over plans for UK's first spaceport
- 19:36 'We're building a bridge' – the exhibition shining a light on...
- 19:36 Anna Soubry on Brexit: ‘History will condemn those who haven’t...
- 04:01 Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling...
- 03:56 Private tutors 'should face DBS criminal record checks'
- 03:56 Some slime toys have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron - Which?
- 03:56 Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- 18:53 Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled
- 01:44 'How we made Now That's What I Call Music 100'
- 18:52 Is your paddling pool a cool oasis – or a giant puddle of infection?
- 01:44 Crane numbers 'could rise by 50%' in next 50 years
- 01:44 Kent and Medway NHS hernia policy 'may be rationing' surgery
- 18:52 Five things grownups should do before going online this summer
- 01:53 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 03:49 Horsefly bites 'could kill' warning as heatwave increases populations
- 03:49 Neighbourhood litter sweep in Northampton called off after...
- 01:44 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 01:42 Horrendous smell from River Freshney leaves residents feeling sick