Will 5G be necessary for self-driving cars?
Proponents of 5G say it will offer ultra-fast connections, speedier data downloads, and be able to handle millions more connections than 4G mobile networks can cope with today. One use for 5G is self-driving cars, but will they really need it?
The telecoms industry envisions autonomous cars equipped with hundreds of sensors collecting and receiving information all at once over a network.
It calls this concept "Vehicle-to-everything" (V2X).
To achieve this, the car needs to detect blind spots and avoid collisions with people, animals or other vehicles on the road.
As the car... read more
- 04:48 Wolves handed Liverpool transfer boost as club chief responds to...
- 04:48 Ex-West Brom boss linked with Championship rivals as Darren Moore...
- 04:48 Aston Villa prepare transfer swoop on Championship rivals as...
- 04:48 Garry Monk makes January transfer window admission as David...
- 04:47 Disgruntled Westpac shareholders vote down executive pay over bonuses
- 04:39 Paul Gascoigne opts for crown court trial on 'sex assault on train'...
- 04:28 Leicester council record keeping branded 'unacceptable' by...
- 03:51 Two more Japanese medical schools admit discriminating against women
- 03:12 Jamie Carragher reveals what Jurgen Klopp said about Alisson after...
- 03:02 The strange jewellery stealing prank that has gone viral in China
- 02:56 Fifty shades of grey: Why this terraced house in Chorley needs to...
- 02:43 Stormy Daniels ordered to pay Trump nearly $300,000 in legal fees
- 02:43 Chaos and the chocolate factory as leak smothers German street
- 02:32 Pence's pensiveness: how the internet roasted the vice-president
- 02:31 Meng Wanzhou: Trump could intervene in case of Huawei executive
- 02:31 Martian and Scottish soils 'strikingly similar'
- 02:22 Mrs Wilson: Still searching for the real Alexander Wilson
- 02:22 Royal Cornwall Hospital on Opel 4 highest alert for 134 days
- 02:16 Patrick Mercer: A leader must lead, and Theresa May cannot
- 02:16 Tom Richmond: Amid the Brexit chaos, there is one way for Theresa...
- 02:10 Is the US economy on the brink of recession?
- 02:06 Bernard Ingham: ‘Softer feel’ will make Question Time hard going...
- 02:05 Trio of Arsenal stars still struggling to adapt to Unai...
- 02:03 Clapham Junction rail crash 1988: Events remember the dead
- 02:03 Dartmouth Fatstock: Sexism row over men-only awards dinner
- 02:02 Cyclone and storms: two extreme weather systems to lash eastern...
- 02:02 Grace Millane murder: father visits site in New Zealand where body...
- 01:46 New Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford due to take reigns
- 01:46 Grace Millane: Backpacker's body returned to family
- 01:31 Family banned from burying dad because his casket is too big