Why some job adverts put women off applying
Words matter. And the way we use them in job adverts can dictate whether or not people bother to apply. This is a big problem if you're a business trying to recruit more women and ethnic minorities into your workforce. So can tech help remove these unconscious biases?
A job description that uses the phrase "We're looking for someone to manage a team" may seem innocuous enough.
But research has shown that the word "manage" encourages more men than women to apply for the role.
Changing the word to "develop" would make it more female-friendly, says Kieran Snyder,... read more
- 12:54 Help out town food bank by going on a free guided walk around Skegness
- 12:53 Turkey attacks Trump's 'comic' stance on Khashoggi killing
- 12:53 Arsenal handed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette...
- 12:53 Leeds women urged to talk
- 12:53 Doncaster mayor Ros Jones: Goverment finding Yorkshire devolution...
- 12:53 Mathematicians Awards: Burnley primary school mathletes shine
- 12:53 Boots Opticians host VIP visitor
- 12:53 Dewsbury Tories name election candidate to take on Paula Sherriff
- 12:51 Man knocked out three times in huge bar fight but just keeps...
- 12:49 Transfer News LIVE updates: Arsenal want £43m star, Man Utd,...
- 12:47 Poor families could take in lodger to beat benefit cap - minister
- 12:47 Why Liverpool vs Everton next weekend could mean SO much more to so...
- 12:47 How a clueless Bonnie and Clyde couple sparked an armed police...
- 12:47 CCTV shows cunning Glasgow crook steal wallet off pensioner in city...
- 12:46 Hands off! Fight to stop historic Sunderland church organ being...
- 12:45 Man falls 25 metres from cliffs in Scarborough
- 12:45 This is why I made a unique memorial cross for Bridlington
- 12:45 Mayor Ros Jones: Doncaster ‘outperforming’ other councils on...
- 12:44 I'm a Celebrity viewers accuse show of 'staging' bushtucker trial...
- 12:44 New secondary school site proposal for Warwick district
- 12:43 Shoppers concerns over bank card safety after Co-op ram raid
- 12:42 Police sorry for 'too much' detail in public sex appeal
- 12:42 Curle prepared for tough decisions as players return to fitness
- 12:41 Premier League transfer news: Ivan Perisic, Anthony Martial,...
- 12:41 Northamptonshire commissioner's damning verdict on children's services
- 12:41 Mansfield Labour candidate launches petition against disability...
- 12:41 Police concern for 15-year-old girl missing from Broxtowe
- 12:41 Louth Scout Hut proposals get the green light
- 12:40 TV celeb to host free jewellery valuations in Stratford
- 12:37 Dewsbury Tories name election candidate to take on Paula Sherriff