Why Sir Alex Ferguson turned down Zinedine Zidane for Man Utd
Martin Edwards, the former Manchester United chairman, has revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson turned down the chance to sign Zinedine Zidane in the mid-1990s.
Zidane, who at the time was playing for Bordeaux, was scouted by United’s Les Kershaw, but Ferguson already had Eric Cantona in the team and he played in a similar position to his French compatriot.
According to Sky Sports, Edwards told ManUtd.com that Zidane was on the club’s radar when he was 22. The Frenchman subsequently signed for Juventus and after that Real Madrid, where he is now the manager.
“When Zidane was at Bordeaux, Les... read more
- 10:16 Poundland plans to take over 20 former Poundworld stores
- 10:16 Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance called to ‘crash’ scenario at RAF Scampton
- 10:15 Window of opportunity for children and parents at Park Academy
- 10:15 The best TV shows this week
- 10:15 Diogo Dalot reacts to making Man Utd debut and sends message to...
- 10:15 Preston weather forecast: Yellow warnings in place as heavy rain...
- 10:15 Morecambe’s volunteer lifeboat crew launch to man in water
- 10:14 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:12 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad - five Wasps included
- 10:12 The best TV shows this week
- 10:11 Netball team smash target in teammate’s memory
- 10:11 Typhoon Mangkhut has made landfall in southern China
- 10:11 WWE NXT: Results, winners, grades
- 10:10 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad while Manu Tuilagi earns...
- 10:10 Video shows chairs and punches thrown during mass brawl at boxing...
- 10:10 Hackers steal £45million from Japanese digital currency exchange
- 10:09 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:08 Beach rebuilding efforts won't stave off climate change impacts...
- 10:08 Heavy rain to hit England and Wales in aftermath of Storm Ali
- 10:08 James Bond 25: Cary Fukunaga named as new director
- 10:08 Beijing complains as US 'orders Chinese media to register as...
- 10:08 Headteacher 'suspended' and ambitious '£60k theatre' torn down -...
- 10:08 Parents urged to apply for Northants school places for September...
- 10:07 Nine-year-old girl tragically dies after eating wrong Cadbury...
- 10:07 Iceland are selling packets of ready made scrambled eggs
- 10:07 LOOKING BACK: Railway threatened with close and new care home
- 10:06 Warwick residents join ‘Big Tidy Up’ event
- 10:06 Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance called to ‘crash’ scenario at RAF Scampton
- 10:05 India bans instant divorceInstant divorce of Muslim women outlawed...
- 10:05 Arthur Mitchell, trailblazing US ballet dancer, dies at 84