Why is yawning contagious?
Did you yawn when you read that?
Yawn is an involuntary reflex to having less oxygen in our body than we require.
If you are bored or tired your breathing will slow down which will cause you to take in less oxygen and so your body will trigger a yawn to help breathe in more.
It has also been suggested that yawn is a way of cooling your brain, to avoid the brain overheating.
In short, more people yawn in summer than in winter.
It is a way of increasing your heart rate blood flow and the use of muscles in the face which all help cool down the brain.
Your brain is more likely to overheat when... read more
- 16:36 Tailbacks on A590 after collision
- 16:35 Sky boss calls for more women programmers as Leeds launches growth...
- 16:34 48 hours in Chicago: the ultimate two-day guide
- 16:34 Rhinos launch kids hospice grand car raffle
- 16:33 Smoking, chip pans and candles: Fires in your home could be prevented
- 16:33 Three quarters of Brits can't identify East Midlands landmarks
- 16:33 Adobe says it can identify manipulated images using AI
- 16:33 A Derbyshire pub is covered in St. George's spirit for the World...
- 16:32 Grimsby weather presenter Keeley Donovan shares video and photos of...
- 16:32 Police car attacked as officers called to disturbance on Grange estate
- 16:32 Man arrested in dawn operation in connection with sex offence...
- 16:31 This is why huge plumes of smoke could be seen across Birmingham today
- 16:31 Revealed: Nine of the UK’s 10 cheapest seaside towns are in Scotland
- 16:30 Gardener and girlfriend win £3million on Lottery scratchcard
- 16:30 Why police divers were at Noddle Hill Way pond in Bransholme
- 16:29 Appeal for public to support March of Remembrance in Padiham
- 16:29 Church children Lent their help to local NHS
- 16:29 Burnley community reads entire Bible at local church event
- 16:29 Deputy director from KGH up for national women’s award
- 16:29 Teacher's touching gesture to help all girls go to prom
- 16:28 Six people arrested after fight in Mansfield town centre
- 16:28 Woman struck by traffic light in Southam
- 16:27 Man runs into Market Harborough supermarket with knife wound to his...
- 16:27 Dormer House School performs A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- 16:27 Trump repeats call to deprive undocumented migrants of due process
- 16:23 Stars on song at Northumberland Live
- 16:23 Smoking, chip pans and candles: Fires in your home could be prevented
- 16:23 London is the most desirable city for overseas workers in the world...
- 16:22 FYI chub rub doesn’t only happen to fat people
- 16:21 Pilot mental health care scheme trialled to relieve pressures on...