Why is Formula One's new protection system called halo? What will it look like?
The reason the new safety system is called halo is its shape - its semicircular formation around the cockpit looks a little like an angel's halo.
The FIA are keen to improve driver safety in F1 in the wake of the death of Justin Wilson in IndyCar, a similar open cockpit series, who was hit by flying debris during a race in August 2015.
F1's governing body have explored a number of differing options and recently tested the latest version of halo while also giving a mini-windshield option a test drive.
Some drivers complained that it was disrupting their field of view while fans do not like... read more
- 21:04 Migrant crisis: Italy and NGO in row over migrant deaths
- 21:02 The problem with Love Island – by the people who turned it down
- 21:02 Anthony Joshua tickets for Alexander Povetkin fight go on sale next...
- 21:04 Hong Kong National Party: Move to ban pro-independence group...
- 21:02 David De Gea and Nemanja Matic to join Manchester United’s...
- 21:02 Maurizio Sarri admits Chelsea are missing ‘a pinch of quality’ in...
- 21:04 Spain's new submarine 'too big for its dock'
- 21:02 Maurizio Sarri reveals why he did not speak to Antonio Conte about...
- 21:04 India rape: 17 men accused of multiple attacks on 11-year-old girl...
- 21:04 China film: Box office hit moves China to act on cancer drugs
- 21:02 Maurizio Sarri speaks out on Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois...
- 21:04 Sweden battles wildfires from Arctic Circle to Baltic Sea
- 21:02 Robert Pires backs Thierry Henry to get a Premier League job...
- 21:02 Manchester City devise contingency plan after missing out on...
- 21:04 Russian warship Dimitrii Donskoi 'found off South Korea'
- 21:02 V&A's 'less scary' entrance drives up visitor numbers
- 21:04 Trump Putin: US president defends meeting and press conference
- 21:02 Seth Rollins doesn’t like Brock Lesnar if his text to Daniel...
- 21:02 Cliff Richard wins £210,000 in damages over BBC privacy case
- 21:02 Jose Mourinho sends message to Paul Pogba after France’s World Cup win
- 21:04 Thai cave rescue boys relive 'moment of miracle'
- 21:02 68% rotten: female critics outnumbered two to one by male counterparts
- 21:02 Jose Mourinho confirms Anthony Martial will start new season in...
- 21:02 From Gareth Southgate to Michael Jackson: the fastest cash-in books
- 21:02 Matteo Darmian edges closer to Manchester United exit after...
- 21:02 Sea of Thieves: how Rare silenced the cannons and brought peace to...
- 21:02 Jose Mourinho reveals why Manchester United decided to sign Lee Grant
- 21:02 Alisson speaks out after Liverpool agree £67m deal with Roma
- 21:02 Hungama: the UK club night taking queer culture to Bollywood
- 21:02 Unai Emery tells Arsenal board his next ‘priority’ signing