Why getting ready for bed is thirsty work: Our internal body clock triggers a desire to drink as we feel sleepy
Most people will have woken at some point with their mouth feeling like it is full of dry cotton wool, but it seems our brains have a built in mechanism to prevent this.
Researchers have found that the brain's internal biological clock actually stimulates our thirst in the hours before we go to sleep.
The findings may help to explain why many people can feel the need to have a drink right before going to bed.
The researchers discovered a signalling molecule is released by the region of the brain that regulates the internal body clocks of mice to trigger a response in 'thirst neurons' as it... read more
- 11:18 Charlie and Gayle Anderson deaths: Couple 'dreamed' of Jamaica move
- 11:18 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:17 Northumberland mum one of 'top 50 women in engineering'
- 11:17 Record run chase is just the job for F&B
- 11:15 Dublin crash horror: Car hits crowd outside church - two seriously...
- 11:14 Quiz: World Cup hat-tricks
- 11:14 Women's decathlon set for US debut – but do athletes really want it?
- 11:14 Sunderland's Bette Davis expert set to speak at celebrity conference
- 11:14 Watch: Huge flames and black smoke rise into the sky after 'arson...
- 11:14 Mansfield Woodhouse road closed after motorbike crash
- 11:14 The Met Office is introducing two new types of weather warnings -...
- 11:14 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:14 Britain braced for 'blowtorch' heatwave which could spark...
- 11:13 Stacked up on sun cream? Here are seven things you didn't know...
- 11:13 Can sunscreen stop you from getting a tan?
- 11:12 Mystery over sudden death of boy, 3, who went to sleep and never...
- 11:12 Dog gets jaw and tongue stuck in toy she only had for 30 minutes
- 11:12 Morley RFC welcomes new chair and president with family day
- 11:11 Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- 11:11 More rare dormice released into the wild
- 11:11 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:10 Gareth Southgate would not swap Harry Kane for anyone
- 11:10 Fantastic family fun on the canal
- 11:10 Inquest adjourned following sudden death of Barrow dad, 45
- 11:09 Stop your dogs biting us, plead postmen after 2,300 attacks in...
- 11:09 REVEALED: Full list of planned roadworks in Yorkshire over the...
- 11:08 Witness appeal after theft and fraud in locations including village...
- 11:08 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?
- 11:07 South Korean piano star Yeol Eum Son to stun East Neuk Festival...
- 11:07 VOTE: Where are the best al fresco restaurants in Lancashire?