Why do carmakers hunt Nurburgring lap records?
Porsche has again stolen headlines: its new hardcore 911 GT2 RS snatched the production car lap record for Germany’s Nurburgring race track from the Lamborghini Huracan Performante.
It did this by lapping the undulating 12.9-mile circuit in 6min 47.3sec with the company’s test driver, Lars Kern, behind the wheel – breaking the previous record by around five seconds.
Carmakers often use the Nurburgring to develop their cars, with some models being spotted in heavy camouflage testing at the circuit before making their public appearance.
But what is the significance of a lap record at the... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle