When is the shortest day of the year, when is winter solstice and what time does it get light?
The shortest day of the year is fast approaching, which can only mean one thing – it’s going to start getting light again.
The Winter Solstice is just around the corner, occurring in the Northern Hemisphere on Thursday 21 December.
It is the one day of the year with the least amount of daylight.
But of course in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are reversed and Thursday 21 December is their Summer Solstice, meaning it is the day with the most amount of daylight.
Although some people think that the whole day is the solstice, there is actually a specific time in the day when the solstice... read more
- 16:02 What Grimsby people think should happen if no deal is reached on...
- 16:02 Road closures confirmed as major repairs get underway for six weeks...
- 16:02 Real ale lovers say cheers as third beer festival announced for...
- 16:02 Olympian Colin Jackson helped a Gainsborough leisure centre open...
- 16:02 Hour-by-hour Lincolnshire forecast as Storm Ali is set to batter UK...
- 16:01 Northants County Council makes cuts to road safety budget
- 16:00 Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe taken to hospital – reports
- 16:00 Jeremy Hunt becomes first UK minister to speak Japanese in Japan
- 16:00 Frazzled workers mock old government tweet praising 90-minute commutes
- 16:00 Successful season for Banbury flyball club
- 15:59 Wet weather sets back reopening of Lancaster’s Greyhound Bridge
- 15:58 FIFA 19 ratings: Real Madrid, PSG, Tottenham men among top...
- 15:58 Liverpool WILL beat PSG in Champions League clash, here’s why...
- 15:57 Clumber Park’s Festival of Food and Drink was ‘a great success’
- 15:57 Northants County Council makes cuts to road safety budget
- 15:57 Water chiefs must explain pipe bursts
- 15:55 Ryder Cup 2018 dates, tee times, Europe and USA teams, TV channel...
- 15:54 Man bitten on the nose in attack in Hull's Comedy Lounge
- 15:54 Ferrari pre-sells entire new supercar model despite £1m+ price tag
- 15:52 Firefighters rescue Chapelfield Primary School pupil after leg...
- 15:52 Hour-by-hour Nottinghamshire forecast as Storm Ali is set to batter...
- 15:50 School ‘tried to abort baby of girl who was raped by four...
- 15:50 Man ‘took dementia-stricken wife to fair in dog leash and yanked it...
- 15:50 Terminally-ill mum told tragic death of newborn baby is her fault
- 15:49 Calls for council to show proposed market plans
- 15:47 Wigton woman who stabbed teen lover in bed has jail term cut
- 15:46 HS2 boss defends gravy train accusations over six figure salaries
- 15:43 Westminster inquest: Attacker's car 'lethal as a knife or gun'
- 15:42 No fresh meat: how to eat vegan on a student budget
- 15:41 The clever McDonald’s trick to getting a huge breakfast McMuffin in...