What is magnet fishing and why is it dangerous?
After yesterday’s shock news of the death of Leeds father and son, whose bodies were found in a Huddersfield canal after they had taken a magnet fishing trip, we take a look at this popular hobby and the danger it poses.
Video: Leeds dad and son who died on canal fishing trip are named
What is magnet fishing?
Magnet fishing, also known as magnetic fishing, is the act of searching in outdoor waters for magnetic objects which are available to pull with a strong neodymium magnet.
This hobby, which is a combination of environmentalism and treasure hunting, has grown rapidly in both the UK and... read more
- 07:47 Manchester United set to up efforts to sign Middlesbrough youngster
- 07:47 Wedding Cake Rock: new fence will stop visitors climbing 'unsafe'...
- 07:46 Theresa May to face no confidence vote as Tory leadership contest...
- 07:45 This is what will fill giant hole in Coventry's skyline
- 07:44 Superdry warns worse to come as profits plunge
- 07:44 Plea to ‘throw the book’ at yobs who target firefighters after...
- 07:43 Preparing for the worse as winter brings threat of Calderdale floods
- 07:42 Strasbourg shooting: France hunts gunman as alert level raised
- 07:41 Revealed: Google's 'two-tier' workforce training document
- 07:42 Undercover police in bid to catch pickpockets in Sheffield city centre
- 07:41 M&S appoints former Sainsbury's chief Justin King to board
- 07:41 Luxury Kensington complex will have just five affordable homes
- 07:41 Uber pushed for UK congestion charges that would hit poor hardest
- 07:39 Theresa May could be delaying tomorrow’s key Brexit vote
- 07:39 Sheffield news LIVE: News, traffic and travel updates
- 07:37 Motion calling for free sanitary products to tackle 'period...
- 07:34 Lancashire news LIVE: Police investigate "unexplained" death in...
- 07:29 Why I threw chips in a homeless man’s face – and now regret it
- 07:28 Woman gave birth alone in Perth prison cell in 'degrading'...
- 07:28 'Brilliant' - Aston Villa boss Dean Smith has come in for praise...
- 07:23 Richard Money lays out his Hartlepool United blueprint as he eyes...
- 07:22 Council urging travellers to move onto Derbyshire car park
- 07:21 Bill Ryder-Jones: 'Fans tell me personal things'
- 07:20 Putting a price on happiness
- 07:17 Beggar banned from Sheffield centre for five years arrested again
- 07:14 Beggar banned from Sheffield centre for five years arrested again
- 07:12 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp confirms ‘painful’ Trent...
- 07:12 Speedster travelling 11mph over the limit in Brighouse snared by...
- 07:10 Stefania Giannini: 'Strong universities lessen social tensions'
- 07:09 Hardy's Gate Bridge between Bury and Radcliffe could shut for months