What is ALS, Motor Neurone Disease and Lou Gehrig’s disease?
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease or Motor Neurone Disease and it causes the death of neurons which control voluntary muscles.
Voluntary muscle movement includes walking, talking, swallowing and breathing.
Someone who suffers from ALS will begin with having stiff muscles and muscle twitching, which will make the muscles weak and so they will decrease in size.
Eventually an ALS patient will have difficulty speaking, swallowing then breathing.
In over 90% of cases, the cause is unknown with only 5-10% of ALS patients inheriting it from their parents.... read more
- 14:51 Gardening: Why you need to beware red lily beetles
- 14:50 World Cup group H: Poland vs. Colombia team news, kick-off time and...
- 14:50 Mum spends £4k on flights for wedding abroad - then she's told her...
- 14:50 EasyJet cancels hundreds of flights
- 14:45 Face on a fiver? The Cumbrians children want to see on a Lake...
- 14:44 Urgent appeal after Bournemouth food bank trashed
- 14:44 Thousands march for Scottish independence
- 14:43 Brilliant Marin Cilic downs Nick Kyrgios to reach Queen’s final
- 14:41 Dangers of playing on building sites being hammered home to youngsters
- 14:39 TV’s all-female wrestling drama Glow blazes a trail
- 14:38 Katie Arrington: Republican congressional hopeful seriously hurt in...
- 14:37 Horror of dog that chewed off its own TAIL
- 14:37 Chelsea star Eden Hazard sets World Cup record with Belgium goal...
- 14:37 Thousands of campaigners take part in People’s Vote Brexit protest
- 14:34 Mum goes missing from hospital without her newborn son days after...
- 14:34 Family's horror as two pets die after 'eating poisoned sausage'
- 14:33 Face on a fiver? The Cumbrians children want to see on a Lake...
- 14:32 Didier Drogba reveals Romelu Lukaku used his advice to score...
- 14:31 Two motorcyclists seriously hurt in Mytholmroyd crash
- 14:27 Garden is alive with a feast for all the senses
- 14:25 Thug who beat up ex over chicken kiev sticks two fingers up after...
- 14:22 Ultra-processed foods may be linked to cancer, says study
- 14:22 Picture special: Thousands raised at inaugural Chloe and Liam...
- 14:21 "Without him we are a bit rudderless' - Aston Villa star Mile...
- 14:20 Michael O’Neill: Panama have passion but England should escape pain
- 14:19 Green energy feels the heat as subsidies go to fossil fuels
- 14:19 Family heartbroken after fears two pets killed by poisoned sausages
- 14:16 M1 grinds to a halt after car bursts into flames
- 14:13 The nightmare run Andy Murray faces at Eastbourne
- 14:13 Police appeal to trace lady in red after 23-year-old 'kicked in...