Weatherwatch: is March a lion or a lamb?
What I love about weather lore is that our ancestors were so good at contradicting themselves, as long as they could make it rhyme. Thus, the famous saying “March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb” is sometimes reversed, so that “March comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion”.
Apart from the fact that the former version is, to my mind, more euphonious, which of the two is more accurate? As is often the case with our weather, that depends. The meteorological historian Philip Eden noted that although on occasion March starts windy and ends sunny, or the other way around, in... read more
- 02:24 Surprise budget news no reason to 'make whoopee', Morrison says
- 02:19 Derby County fan successfully wins appeal to have banning order...
- 02:18 Golf tour start-up takes to the skies
- 02:18 International and whisky sales drive Speymalt revenue growth
- 02:08 ‘Questions’ remain over death of 10-year-old Luke
- 02:05 Novartis factory up for sale in Grimsby as MP holds talks with...
- 01:53 Chinese national arrested for 'spying on US engineers'
- 01:50 Matthew Bates reflects on the TWO controversial decisions which...
- 01:49 ‘Questions’ remain over death of 10-year-old Luke
- 01:47 Padma Lakshmi: TV host says why she kept silent on her rape
- 01:46 Hernia mesh complications 'affect more than 100,000'
- 01:33 'I hid my baby from social services in case they took it away'
- 01:33 Beyonce’s ex-drummer accuses singer of putting spell on cat
- 01:32 Head teachers explain funding protest to parents
- 01:28 American nuns win victory holding Smith & Wesson accountable
- 01:27 Girlguiding says girls not at risk from trans inclusion
- 01:10 ABC chairman told Michelle Guthrie to sack Emma Alberici to appease...
- 00:59 Sudoku 4,175 medium
- 00:58 The Yorkshire Post says: Don’t give apprentices a bad name. Time to...
- 00:55 The Yorkshire Post says: Labour’s Brexit splits exposed. Sir Keir...
- 00:51 Tottenham news: Mauricio Pochettino expects to be playing in new...
- 00:50 Customs delays of 30 minutes 'will bankrupt 1 in 10 firms', say bosses
- 00:49 Rafale deal: Why French jets are at the centre of an Indian...
- 00:49 The Rwandan school turning boys into feminists
- 00:49 Has France's Macron lost his charm?
- 00:49 Why Sweden and China have fallen out so badly
- 00:49 Trump at UN: Who does business with Iran?
- 00:49 Why US top court is so much more political than UK's
- 00:48 GP Taylor: A love letter to the vanishing art of handwriting
- 00:48 Bernard Ingham: Brexit is the inevitable consequence of ignorning...