Wall Street: Dow Jones and S&P 500 ease to new records
(Close): There were more records broken on Wall Street, with the Dow Jones and S&P 500 indexes edging to new highs.
Machinery and equipment makers climbed after strong results from Deere, but technology companies fell after HP gave a weak profit forecast.
Stocks opened mostly lower, but soon began moving upwards on hopes that the US economy is continuing to strengthen.
The Dow ended 0.3% up at 19,083 points, and the S&P 500 rose 0.08% to 2,204.7. The Nasdaq lost 0.11% to 5,380.6.
Machinery maker Caterpillar rose 2.7% and hit the highest in about two years, while Deere jumped 11% to... read more
- 00:39 Child obesity plan targets sweets at checkouts
- 00:36 Early wickets were not enough to stop leaders
- 00:18 Matt Le Tissier: ‘VAR will make defenders be defenders, not wrestlers’
- 00:13 Manchester United ready to include Anthony Martial in bid to sign...
- 00:09 East Coast train line back under public control
- 00:04 Highland midwives hit the screens with second TV series
- 23:57 The best tech from Sonar 2018
- 23:57 Scottish independence supporters march to Bannockburn
- 23:53 Alarm sounded on R&D tax relief cowboys
- 23:53 Captain leads rearguard as strugglers earn draw
- 23:51 Euan McColm: Protect democracy from politics of harassment
- 23:43 Wolves are the frontrunners to sign Jack Wilshere - reports
- 23:38 Review: Hyundai Ioniq,
- 23:35 EXCLUSIVE: U-turn! Stobart's ousted boss's bold plans to re-merge...
- 23:33 Dani Garavelli: Pressure is piling to decriminalise cannabis
- 23:29 Versatile Mexico validate Osorio's tinkering with second World Cup win
- 23:26 Dani Garavelli: Don’t commit to Mack Mk3 in heat of moment
- 23:22 Legal threat looms over teachers not telling parents if pupil...
- 23:18 Police release statement on high-speed chase through Hull ending in...
- 23:14 Call for ban on ‘talking, listening’ Cayla
- 23:12 Trump stays on immigration offensive as Democrats seek answers on...
- 23:01 At least 15 injured in ‘failed assassination attempt’ on...
- 23:00 John McEnroe insists Serena Williams should be seeded at Wimbledon
- 23:00 England’s Sophie Ecclestone rips into New Zealand for big fightback
- 23:00 Gareth Southgate keeping his young England side calm amid the storm
- 23:00 England coach Eddie Jones: ‘We’re coming to a peak after South...
- 23:00 Sarah Sanders kicked out of restaurant because of work for Trump
- 23:00 Vatican ex-diplomat sentenced to five years on child pornography...
- 22:57 Ethiopia president targeted in grenade assassination attempt at...
- 22:47 Germany spark bust-up by sarcastically clapping Sweden’s bench...