Voting for U.N. chief moves to key stage with Guterres top pick
A sixth secret ballot by the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday will signal whether former Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Guterres is likely to be the next U.N. Secretary-General, or whether one of the five permanent Security Council members might veto his bid.
Guterres has come out atop the five closed-door polls since July. The 15-member council is aiming to reach consensus on a replacement for Ban Ki-moon of South Korea, who will step down at the end of 2016 after two five-year terms.
However, amid a push for a woman to lead the 71-year-old world body for the first time,... read more
- 09:46 Scientists aim to stop the devastation of Zika-like pandemics
- 09:46 Fresh controversy over firefighters’ ‘stay-put’ advice at Grenfell
- 09:45 Police appeal after girl, 19, assaulted by man in Carlisle street
- 09:43 Leamington woman with footballer's name stars in TV World Cup adverts
- 09:42 Scientists aim to stop the devastation of Zika-like pandemics
- 09:41 Interview: Kevin Linfoot back in the property game
- 09:39 Chesterfield’s hour-by-hour weather forecast
- 09:34 Once you see Cats in Food, you’ll struggle to un-see them
- 09:33 Kettering mental health charity handed a £3,000 boost
- 09:32 Saudi Arabian women celebrate as driving ban lifted
- 09:26 History society book launched at Southfield House
- 09:25 Private schools shun GCSEs and A-levels
- 09:20 Manchester United signing Fred scores wonder goal in Brazil training
- 09:20 Why do footballers spit?
- 09:19 Saviour and sultan, ally and foe – west in a bind over Erdoğan
- 09:19 Born out of brutality, South Sudan, the world’s youngest state,...
- 09:18 Huge fire in Birmingham: 75 firefighters called to severe blaze in...
- 09:17 Lincolnshire’s fire stations to host blood donation sessions
- 09:16 Harborough Bake Off star to appear at feast for food lovers!
- 09:15 Manchester’s been crowned ‘the world’s wildest city’
- 09:15 Ladies, let this woman teach you to ‘shoot your shot’
- 09:14 Three arrested over stabbing of boy, 15, at birthday party
- 09:11 Uttoxeter commuters promised more rush-hour trains in rail shake-up
- 09:08 Latest news from Berwick Civic Society
- 09:06 Can you solve it? Are you smarter than a maths jammer?
- 09:04 Saudi women in the driver’s seat as ban finally ends
- 09:04 Happy faces at St John’s Priory School’s Race for Life
- 09:03 "Encouraging others to support the town of Halifax "
- 09:01 'I didn't want to be 50 and fat!' - Burton mum kicked her snacking...
- 08:59 MSPs suggest text alerts could be sent to remind accused to show up...