Venezuela: power returns after blackout but normal service may be a long way off
Power has been restored to much of Venezuela, a week after a devastating blackout struck across the country, crippling water supplies, and cutting off telephone and internet services for millions.
But swaths of the country remain without electricity, and experts have warned that normal services may not resume for weeks – or even months.
A new report from the Central University of Venezuela’s faculty of engineering confirmed that the blackout was caused when a bush fire near the Malena substation in eastern Venezuela took out a vital section of the country’s power grid.
The report offered... read more
- 15:03 Teams investigating Sunderland's Dixy Chicken fire say blaze is...
- 15:03 Motorcyclist seriously injured in collision with car in Wigan
- 15:03 Wigan mum gets new career after lifestyle change
- 15:03 Mobile speed cameras will be at these Calderdale locations next week
- 15:03 New multi-million-pound school to open in Burnley
- 15:03 Top comedian coming to Padiham
- 15:03 Watch: Moment yob smashes up windows of Birmingham mosque using a...
- 15:01 England’s young Lions: Man Utd and Arsenal's starlets that MUST...
- 15:01 Samuel Umtiti to Arsenal? Chances of SHOCK Barcelona transfer assessed
- 15:01 Executed killer confesses to another murder from beyond the grave
- 15:01 Mother who barred daughter, 16, from social media found secret...
- 15:01 Pensioner, 102, made homeless with just hours’ notice
- 15:00 Pompeo says God may have sent Trump to save Israel from Iran
- 14:58 Vote for Gaughan in FA poll
- 14:58 PAW Patrol and 5 more super-cool acts announced for Kidtropolis...
- 14:57 Ten snakes and lizards that could be lurking in your garden right now
- 14:57 Leeds charity helps sex workers and vulnerable women access...
- 14:57 Blackpool taxis want to launch Promenade sharing scheme
- 14:56 Explosion at Govan flats treated as attempted murder after two...
- 14:55 Music review: SCO & Pekka Kuusisto
- 14:55 Murder inquiry launched as boy dies months after Rugby fire
- 14:54 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A43 near Brackley
- 14:54 Meghan Markle to opt for 'natural birth with no pain relief'
- 14:54 Save Our Sky Blues: The scary options the EFL gave Coventry City fans
- 14:53 FinTech Scotland hails milestone in bid for global open finance centre
- 14:53 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A43 near Brackley
- 14:53 This popular dog food has been recalled over health warnings
- 14:52 Changes to protest march in Preston after clash over space
- 14:52 Sainsbury's and Asda offer to close up to 150 stores to secure merger
- 14:51 Man jailed for making hoax calls to Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service