Venezuela power cuts: Blackouts continue as protests loom
A widespread power cut affecting much of Venezuela has continued throughout Friday ahead of planned protests on Saturday.
President Nicolás Maduro and the US-backed opposition trying to oust him have blamed each other for the outage.
Hospitals struggled to cope and at least one hospital patient died when her respirator stopped working.
The power cuts, which started on Thursday, have been caused by problems at a major hydroelectric plant.
Venezuela depends on its vast hydroelectric infrastructure, rather than its oil reserves, for its domestic electricity supply. But decades of... read more
- 14:13 Freddie Flintoff's TV show fish bar spotted in Derbyshire
- 14:12 NHS trusts call in the bailiffs to chase ineligible patients’ debts
- 14:10 Attack on SIXTH Islamic teaching centre in Birmingham
- 14:09 Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's issue product recalls over safety...
- 14:07 Fire and Rescue crews attend Ilkeston house fire
- 14:07 ‘Pasta like cat food’: Edinburgh Airport lounge ranked worst in...
- 14:06 Freddie Flintoff's TV show fish bar spotted in Derbyshire
- 14:04 Birmingham City 1990s quiz - how many can you get right?
- 14:00 SPLC chief resigns to give turmoil-hit rights group 'best chance to...
- 13:58 Sunderland at Wembley: When two newcomers shot this grainy but...
- 13:56 M5 near Oldbury shut by 'unexploded device'
- 13:53 Why people are googling Florida Man and their birthdays
- 13:53 Groom cancels Las Vegas dream stag do after best man blows £8,000...
- 13:53 I was sexually abused in the Amish community; victims have to fight...
- 13:53 Teacher, 74, fired after accidentally setting off his gun in class...
- 13:51 Pro-Brexit ‘go slow’ protest stopped by police just ten minutes in
- 13:49 Five miles of queues as 'unexploded device' closes M5
- 13:48 Manny Pacquiao fans demand Floyd Mayweather rematch
- 13:48 Raphael Varane speaks out on Real Madrid future after Manchester...
- 13:46 Welcome to Yorkshire director's shock over Sir Gary Verity's...
- 13:43 Carol Vorderman's 'gravity-defying backside' secrets revealed - and...
- 13:41 Pictures emerge after crash involving Porsche closes A1
- 13:41 Man arrested after drugs raid in Sheffield
- 13:40 Campaign calling on Hartlepool folk to leave the car at home and...
- 13:39 Brexit: I’ve got lots of sympathy for Theresa May, says Tony Blair
- 13:36 Pro-Brexit ‘go slow’ protest stopped by police just ten minutes in
- 13:36 Anti-Brexit petition shows stark divide in Sheffield and...
- 13:36 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1990s quiz - how many can you get right?
- 13:36 Explained: The compelling case why Aston Villa must sign this man
- 13:36 'See you later' This is what rumoured Wolves and Leeds United...