Venezuela power cut: Lootings as desperation grows
Venezuela's government has ordered schools and businesses to remain closed on Monday as a power cut drags into a fifth day. The opposition says at least 17 people have reportedly died as a result of the blackout. Residents in the capital, Caracas, told the BBC's Will Grant of their growing despair.
Each hour that passes without power in Venezuela brings more havoc and stress to a country already on edge.
Pro-government motorcycle gangs, known here as "colectivos", roam the dark streets enforcing order at gunpoint while there were sporadic episodes of looting amid the desperation.... read more
- 11:50 Harworth Mum ‘died at the hands of former partner’, murder trial told
- 11:49 Time to resume a bus service for Whitby’s West Cliff
- 11:49 Whitby brother and sister performing arts stars win US scholarships
- 11:49 Merseyside politicians say 'despicable' Theresa May has gone 'full...
- 11:48 Favourite royal baby name revealed for Meghan Markle and Prince Harry
- 11:48 Metal detectorist's amazing gesture after he digs up ROLEX watch
- 11:47 Alesha MacPhail killer Aaron Campbell jailed for 27 years for...
- 11:46 Brexit: petition to revoke Article 50 breaks Government website
- 11:46 First homes craned into place at Port Loop - and this is how much...
- 11:46 Revealed: The FIVE Birmingham mosques attacked with sledgehammers...
- 11:46 You’re not really an adult until you hit 30, say scientists
- 11:45 Grandmother forced to take off wedding ring by masked burglar armed...
- 11:45 These are the six prohibited parking spots which could land you in...
- 11:44 Petition calls for Del Boy statue at Only fools and Horses tower...
- 11:43 Barclays WSL deal a ‘landmark moment’ for women’s football
- 11:43 Harworth Mum ‘died at the hands of former partner’, murder trial told
- 11:42 Landmark Doncaster pub goes up for sale
- 11:42 Hull coroner takes over investigation into body found in Humber...
- 11:42 'Hate is on the march' - anger and defiance after city mosque attacks
- 11:42 Parents risking £180 fines because of their child's poor dental health
- 11:42 Preston recycling business fined £20k after employee was injured
- 11:42 The first ‘Equinox Supermoon’ for 19 years captured around the...
- 11:42 When is the next general election and could it be held earlier?
- 11:42 No Deal Brexit would place food banks in ‘dangerous position’,...
- 11:42 Dog dies after being left in plane’s cargo hold
- 11:42 Top Edinburgh lawyer: are we heading for an accidental 'no deal'...
- 11:42 Town-centre development could start in autumn - but residents...
- 11:42 Trophy hunter creeps up on sleeping lion, shoots it, then celebrates
- 11:42 Excellent! Bill and Ted to go on summer adventure
- 11:41 Aberdeen Standard Investments to advise on five Virgin Money funds