Venezuela: Maduro calls end to four-hour power cuts
VENEZUELAN President Nicolas Maduro announced at the weekend that he is lifting electricity rationing this morning, ending two months of restriction.
Low water levels at the Guri hydroelectric dam, which provides most of the country’s power, had led to power cuts affecting much of the country for four hours a day.
Only the capital Caracas and four other states had been spared from the power cuts that were implemented on April 25 as a result of the worst drought for 40 years.
Officials had previously reported that renewed rainfall was improving the water level behind the Guri dam, which... read more
- 10:14 Will you recognise next months Castle Quay visitors?
- 10:13 Edinburgh Uni race row as students accused of ‘yellow face’ at...
- 10:13 What is the EU customs union and single market?
- 10:13 Religious texts ripped up at Islamic school in ‘second racist attack’
- 10:13 British man, 31, missing after falling off ferry from Ibiza to Majorca
- 10:13 Speedboat killer Jack Shepherd agrees to be extradited to the UK
- 10:13 Owner clings to VW as car thief drives off after posing as buyer
- 10:13 How to go about appealing against a parking fine
- 10:13 Samsung’s folding phone release date is set for May 3 in the UK
- 10:12 Opposition challenges decision by Lichfield District Council...
- 10:12 Man involved in two hit and runs before dumping stolen car and...
- 10:11 Male pill - why are we still waiting?
- 10:10 Mersey MPs help to take Brexit control away from Theresa May on...
- 10:09 New visitor centre at Yorkshire Sculpture Park to open this weekend
- 10:09 New £3.6m visitor centre at Yorkshire Sculpture Park to open this...
- 10:09 Ofsted gives thumbs up to Sheffield primary school with ‘good' report
- 10:07 £60m aquatic centre 'legacy' benefits to be discussed in Sandwell
- 10:07 Here are the West Midlands MPs backing plans to sideline Theresa...
- 10:07 Coin enthusiast stabbed to death for his collection
- 10:07 Parkfield School 'should resume No Outsiders LGBT lessons', says...
- 10:07 Gangs are now using dead rats to smuggle drugs and phones into prisons
- 10:07 Police chief hopes 'to focus on day job' following key power decision
- 10:05 Conor McGregor retires: how UFC and MMA fans reacted on Twitter
- 10:05 Wren named UK's top retail employer as Kingstown Furniture staff hired
- 10:05 Coin enthusiast stabbed to death for his collection
- 10:05 Access times set to change for weekday urgent care services at...
- 10:05 Locomotive drafted on to North Yorkshire Moors Railway as late...
- 10:05 New retailers secured for Aberdeen shopping mall
- 10:04 Folk star Ashley Hutchings joined by vocalist Becky Mills for...
- 10:04 Rafi Eitan, spy