Venezuela crisis: Maduro to curb fuel subsidies
Venezuela's president has said its subsidised fuel prices should rise, to stop smugglers cheating the country out of millions of dollars.
"Gasoline must be sold at an international price to stop smuggling to Colombia and the Caribbean," Nicolás Maduro said in a televised address.
Like many oil producing nations, Venezuela offers its citizens heavily subsidised petrol.
Smugglers can then line their pockets reselling the oil in nearby countries.
Venezuela's economy is in freefall, with inflation rates estimated to reach a million percent this year - but the price of oil has barely... read more
- 08:03 Lancashire news LIVE: All the latest weather, traffic and breaking...
- 08:03 Your weather forecast for Thursday
- 08:01 Polar vortex to hit UK with snow and plummeting temperatures
- 08:00 Warwickshire's first cat cafe opens its doors
- 07:59 Multi-million restoration of Sunderland castle enters final phase
- 07:56 Your weather forecast for Thursday
- 07:55 Arsene Wenger gives verdict on Manchester United target Zinedine...
- 07:52 Driver tells cyclist he can drive safely while using his phone then...
- 07:51 Brazil: same-sex couples rush to the altar ahead of Bolsonaro...
- 07:51 'City living no be easy': Accra by Richard Opoku Agyeman – an urban...
- 07:51 Forever prisoners: were a father and son wrongly ensnared by...
- 07:49 Raheem Sterling: Arsenal ace Ainsley Maitland-Niles reveals he also...
- 07:48 Live updates: Hagley Road partly closed as burst water main causes...
- 07:46 Morning Face: Chidera Eggerue, AKA The Slumflower, shares how she...
- 07:45 Saints' winger Tom Collins opens new Northampton nursery
- 07:45 Arsenal transfer plans revealed; Barcelona plan Morata swoop as...
- 07:44 Paying my Dartford Crossing fine has become a French farce
- 07:44 New Jersey urged to enforce ‘code of conduct’ for Amazon workers
- 07:44 Pound largely holds on to gains after May survives no-confidence vote
- 07:43 House of Fraser revival 'challenging'
- 07:41 Tests continuing after death of nine-week-old Barnsley baby
- 07:39 Tests continuing after death of nine-week-old Barnsley baby
- 07:39 LIVE: Accident in Markfield Lane, Botcheston leaves road closed in...
- 07:39 Raj Singh on why he took dramatic U-turn to appoint Richard Money –...
- 07:36 Preston company takes on Shpock and Gumtree with new 'Buuy' mobile app
- 07:34 How to get Elf on the Shelf stuck inside your TV
- 07:32 Canalside Braunston pub sold to Leicester brewery
- 07:32 Royal Mail staff in Northamptonshire work flat out as they tackle...
- 07:32 Saints centre Rory ready to make up for lost time
- 07:27 COURT ROUND-UP: Latest convictions from Doncaster magistrates’ courts