US imposes sanctions on Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro
The US government has branded Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro "a dictator" and frozen any US assets, after he held a controversial poll to elect a constituent assembly.
Under the sanctions, US firms and individuals are banned from doing business with Mr Maduro.
The election on Sunday was marred by violence, with widespread protests and at least 10 people killed.
President Maduro hailed the poll as a "vote for the revolution".
The opposition coalition, which boycotted the election, said 88% of voters had abstained. It has refused to recognise the election, and called... read more
- 01:04 Revealed: First pictures of new £5 coin released by Royal Mint
- 01:04 Chris Moncrieff: May on brink as Corbyn awaits chance
- 01:04 Sunshine lifts Scots retailers but high street blues persist
- 00:53 Menopause: Lack of specialist care 'limits treatments'
- 00:41 World-first melanoma blood test detects early stages of deadly skin...
- 00:41 Festivalgoers urged to get MMR jab as measles infection rate soars
- 00:41 Schools alone cannot solve childhood obesity crisis, Ofsted warns
- 00:41 Omega-3 no protection against heart attack or strokes, say scientists
- 00:40 Young black men more like to be prosecuted over dispersal orders
- 00:40 World-first melanoma blood test detects early stages of deadly skin...
- 00:52 80 jobs created as Leicester gas and electric firm joins with M&S...
- 00:40 Schools alone cannot solve childhood obesity crisis, Ofsted warns
- 00:40 Wembley stadium sale is backed if £600m investment goes to grassroots
- 00:40 Omega-3 no protection against heart attack or strokes, say scientists
- 00:40 Sudoku 4115 medium
- 00:40 Papa John's founder says resigning over N-word use was a mistake
- 00:03 Canada's high Arctic glaciers at risk of disappearing completely,...
- 00:03 'This is your last chance for justice': Eric Garner's family wants...
- 23:56 Senate Democrats unveil bill to reunite immigrant families...
- 00:46 Fish oil for a healthy heart 'nonsense'
- 23:10 Morning mail: Obama rebukes Trump, doubts over Dutton crackdown,...
- 00:46 Too many babies overfed, experts fear
- 23:10 Parents of MH17 victims lash out at 'bully' Trump: 'You have no...
- 00:46 Sensible, family-loving teens behind pregnancy rate drop
- 23:10 How Maria Butina, accused Russian spy, worked her way into top US...
- 00:43 Holiday childcare: 'I'm lucky - my sister has my child'
- 00:40 BREAKING: Facebook data held by Cambridge Analytica was accessed by...
- 00:42 'Netflix effect' poses challenge to British TV
- 23:10 Tesla investors demand Elon Musk apologize for calling Thailand...
- 23:10 Rangers face ‘a hell of a lot of work’, warns Steven Gerrard