US government accused of unlawfully separating hundreds of migrant families
There have been at least 429 cases of immigrant parents being separated from their children in the past two years, according to a class-action lawsuit filed on Friday against the Trump administration.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) suit alleges the US government has violated due process for hundreds of asylum-seeking families by separating parents and children without a hearing and without showing the child would be endangered by staying with the parent.
Administration officials said last year they were considering implementing a family separation policy to deter asylum seekers.... read more
- 05:28 University of Birmingham launches new digital apprenticeship degree
- 05:28 Wolves send Jose Mourinho and Manchester United a message as Ruben...
- 05:28 West Brom boss Darren Moore gives Bakary Sako update - and talks...
- 05:28 Garry Monk gives Leeds United response as surprising Birmingham...
- 05:28 Aston Villa to take this Jack Grealish step as Steve Bruce responds...
- 05:28 Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift at sea in fishing hut
- 05:18 The true cost of our litter crisis: millions that could be spent...
- 05:18 This is the reality of life on Liverpool's most burgled street
- 05:15 China starts to assert its world view at UN as influence grows
- 05:15 New US tariffs on China take effect with no compromise in sight
- 05:06 An ageless tale of Coldstream’s braw trees
- 05:03 Victoria's Catholic education head appears to claim credit for...
- 05:03 Family of James Ricketson 'hesitant' about film-maker returning to...
- 05:02 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 04:44 Hong Kong bans pro-independence party as China tightens grip
- 04:38 Work starts on £1m media centre at Champions (UK) Plc as turnover...
- 04:20 Care job vacancies in England rise to 110,000
- 04:20 Compensation for delay-hit Northern passengers extended
- 04:17 'Modicare': India's PM promises free health care for poorest citizens
- 04:13 Esports degree: 'I won't spend three years playing games'
- 04:13 The UK's most ambitious children
- 04:13 Comment: Phoenix lands in Edinburgh
- 04:07 Child mental health: Camhs 'not fit for purpose'
- 04:07 Buckingham Palace: Man released over 'Taser' keyring error
- 04:07 Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth'
- 03:48 US-China trade: US set to impose biggest round of tariffs yet
- 03:31 Comment: Building bridges between Scotland and Ireland
- 03:31 Comment: Scouts are always prepared for business success
- 03:24 Melbourne plane crash: Pilot error in fatal shopping centre incident
- 03:24 Brett Kavanaugh: Second allegation made against court nominee