US Federal Reserve raises short-term interest rates again
The US Federal Reserve raised short-term interest rates again on Wednesday, the eighth such move since 2015 as the central bank moves to unwind years of historically low rates.
After a two day meeting the Fed announced a quarter percentage point rise in its benchmark rate to a range of 2% to 2.25%. The rate is used to set credit card, mortgage and loan rates and will trigger rises across the board for consumers.
The increase is the third rate rise this year and comes as US unemployment has hit new lows. In August the US added 201,000 new jobs – a record-breaking 95th consecutive month of... read more
- 07:24 FARMING MATTERS: Online matchmaking for cattle
- 07:19 Killer taxi driver ‘came through gap in central reservation’ on...
- 07:19 Police called to brawl in Sheffield suburb
- 07:17 Essence of Corby celebrated at special Cube event
- 07:17 Landmark day for Corby railway station
- 07:16 Greig Laidlaw the veteran presence in Paris amongst the...
- 07:14 Francis ready to kick on after successful Saints comeback
- 07:13 Too much, too young? Mayor could become the first millennial president
- 07:14 Curle confident loanees Elsnik and Powell will shine for Cobblers
- 07:13 Teenager dies after shotgun and knife attack in north London
- 07:06 FARMING MATTERS: Online matchmaking for cattle
- 07:02 This is what you can expect from the weather this weekend
- 07:01 Liverpool fans won't like this analysis of Jurgen Klopp's tactics
- 07:01 Sam Allardyce in the firing line on Celebrity Apprentice
- 07:01 Man Utd and Liverpool fans FUME at Jim White after Carabao Cup claim
- 07:01 DeGale vs Eubank Jr start time: What time will the boxing fight start?
- 06:50 Brexit: Theresa May warned of mass revolt if country heads for no-deal
- 06:48 Halifax Paralympic star Hannah Cockroft speaks about disability...
- 06:47 This is what you can expect from the weather this weekend
- 06:46 Saudi sisters trapped in Hong Kong fear death penalty if deported
- 06:46 Coventry City receive Ricoh deadline as Mark Robins explores his...
- 06:41 This is what you can expect from the weather this weekend
- 06:38 Northampton park festival apologises 'without reservation' after...
- 06:34 Hartlepool business named as one of the best companies in Britain...
- 06:34 Dean Smith tells Conor Hourihane the best way to silence his Aston...
- 06:33 New CT scanner set to slash waiting times at Scottish hospital
- 06:33 Premier League table: Super computer predicts final standings...
- 06:33 Arsenal legend reveals he will be SHOCKED if Unai Emery does this...
- 06:33 Arsenal boss Unai Emery NEEDS Mesut Ozil: Gunners star makes...
- 06:33 Chelsea news: N'Golo Kante JUMPS to the defence of under fire Jorginho