UK weather: Driest start to summer on modern record
After weeks of hot and sunny weather, it's official - the UK is experiencing its driest start to a summer since modern records began in 1961.
Just 50.8mm of rain fell between 1 June and 19 July, comfortably lower than the previous record of 58mm set in 2013.
England has been particularly dry, with only 21.4mm of rain since the beginning of June.
A Met Office spokesman told the BBC there was no "significant sign" of change "any time soon".
There is the possibility for some heavy showers and thunderstorms in parts of southern and eastern England on Friday evening, the Met... read more
- 10:37 M5 will stay shut for HOURS after woman, 45, dies in crash near...
- 10:36 Warwick residents urged to be vigilant after spate of crime
- 10:36 Police officers speak to vehicle owner after parking problem in...
- 10:36 Burnley pie master tastes success at British Pie Awards
- 10:36 Pay rise is a chance to 'value' work of Birmingham councillors
- 10:35 Police officer from Sheffield at risk of losing job over ‘water...
- 10:34 Scarface fan who went on three-year killing spree found guilty of...
- 10:34 Calderdale house prices down by 1.9 per cent in January
- 10:33 No deal hypocrisy by the leave campaigners
- 10:33 US briefing: New Zealand gun ban, Brexit delay and slavery reparations
- 10:33 Bubblegum ice cream hits Asda shelves thanks to new supply deal
- 10:32 Warwick residents urged to be vigilant after spate of crime
- 10:32 Messi, Matty Taylor, Lewis Hamilton and commentators gone wild
- 10:31 Melton traders urged to display knives more responsibly
- 10:31 Cannabis driver flipped car onto roof in Burnley road
- 10:31 From extreme heat to sinking venues: how are festivals coping with...
- 10:31 Brexit: EU rejects May's request for three-month delay
- 10:29 Showjumping event to be held for missing Emiliano Sala plane pilot...
- 10:29 These are the worst areas in Doncaster for dog fouling
- 10:29 Premier League transfer news: Callum Hudson-Odoi, Philippe...
- 10:29 Shirt worn by Derby County legend from Rams’ Brian Clough and Peter...
- 10:29 SPONSORED: Last chance to own a retirement flat near Broughty Ferry
- 10:29 Scarface fan who went on three-year killing spree found guilty of...
- 10:27 Alain Ducasse on the perfect cup of coffee
- 10:26 Buckinghamshire charity Medical Detection Dogs receives large...
- 10:26 Times have changed for the better since the Jarrow March
- 10:26 Cyclist told he is permanently blind after crash with couple who...
- 10:26 Eggs are a cracking good meal and top of food favourites for people...
- 10:26 International Scarface killer found guilty of fifth murder
- 10:25 Trader who sold unsafe baby booster seats fined