Ugandans face choice: malaria or malnutrition
In a country with the third highest number of deaths from malaria in Africa and some of the highest transmission rates in the world, Ugandans are expected to clutch at any anti-malaria measures proposed.
With 70,000 to 500,000 of the country’s children succumbing to the disease annually, according to World Health Organisation estimates, malaria is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the country.
However, insecticide-treated nets that are essential — especially in rural areas — to protect people from the mosquitoes that carry malaria are being used for other purposes.
Last year,... read more
- 08:04 Woman's terror as 'wild animal' boy says he will 'smoke her dead...
- 08:04 What does the weather have in store for South Tyneside today?
- 08:04 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 08:03 Jorge Masvidal reveals what he told Darren Till after knocking him...
- 08:03 Virgil van Dijk sends message to Liverpool teammate Mohamed Salah...
- 08:02 Disney's Frozen musical will reopen London's Theatre Royal Drury...
- 08:01 MP says no jobs will go as Interserve building A63 footbridge in...
- 08:00 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 08:00 Brexit appeal to Guy Fawkes raises smile in Warwickshire village
- 08:00 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 08:00 Concerns for safety of missing Halifax man
- 07:59 Woman with cancer stays positive by cosplaying as pop culture icons
- 07:58 Chelsea takeover: will Britain’s richest man buy the Blues?
- 07:58 Coalition launches elder abuse crackdown and new national hotline
- 07:57 Moment paedo-hunting cops catch pervert with 54,000 pictures of...
- 07:57 Petition to unseat lying MP Fiona Onasanya jailed for speeding offence
- 07:57 Jeremy Corbyn ‘ready to stand down’ because he is ‘tired and fed up’
- 07:57 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 07:56 Here's where roadworks are taking place in Calderdale this week
- 07:56 Fears for 12-year-old missing for two days
- 07:54 easyJet launches FOUR new summer routes from Manchester Airport
- 07:54 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 07:52 'Huge rail hub near Hinckley will have negative impact', Blaby...
- 07:52 Calls for 20mph limit to tackle speeding issue in Ellington
- 07:51 Collision closes one lane of A38 near Derby
- 07:49 Ronnie O’Sullivan makes major Roger Federer claim as he discusses...
- 07:49 Sunderland’s Emily hopes to be hailed a tourism superstar for her...
- 07:49 Police re-open Sheffield street but cordon remains in place where...
- 07:49 How cheeky card lets Sunderland AFC fans say sorry for spending...
- 07:49 Emergency services called to Sunderland's Wearmouth Bridge