Two cases of deadly diphtheria detected in Lothian area
Two people are being treated in Scotland for the potentially deadly diphtheria infection.
NHS Lothian has confirmed the two cases are related and both patients are thought to be in hospital in Edinburgh.
The health board said those involved had recently returned from overseas.
Public health experts said the likelihood of any additional cases was very small, as most people were protected by immunisation given in childhood.
In Lothian, 98% of children are vaccinated against diphtheria by the age of 24 months.
Alison McCallum, director of public health for NHS Lothian, said: "All close... read more
- 14:20 HMV opens up its Bury store to unsigned acts
- 14:20 Police hunting wanted man with links to Whitefield, Bury
- 13:19 Stratford Herald to host General Election hustings
- 12:57 Libraries in Lichfield and Burntwood to get upgraded computers
- 12:42 Lichfield Garrick lifts the lid on new season of shows
- 12:42 Global interest as items from former Abbots Bromley School are...
- 12:24 What is National Insurance and why are the Tories pledging to cut it?
- 12:07 M60 crash survivor reunited with firefighter rescuer by chance
- 12:02 Radcliffe Moriscos morris troupe win big at TMDA Championship
- 12:02 Bury Council meeting cancelled because of general election
- 11:38 Brexit Party campaigner being 'barred from store' results in...
- 10:39 Ricky Tomlinson and Ralf Little visit Bury Market to film new series
- 10:39 Concerns raised about bookings at The One
- 09:59 Burntwood groups boosted by donations from business
- 09:41 General election 2019 latest: Labour’s radical ‘manifesto of hope’
- 08:53 Man charged after young girl sexually assaulted in Radcliffe
- 08:38 Long delays after four-vehicle crash on M60 at Worsley
- 05:59 Bury Hospice – behind the scenes: Operations and outreach
- 05:59 Firm goes extra mile to help Bury Hospice
- 05:59 Old Hall Primary School is home to a beehive
- 05:59 Bury Council reserves will be spent on senior staff salaries
- 05:59 Crash victim reunited with saviour by chance
- 05:59 Bury's most wanted — November 21, 2019