Turning pollution into FUEL: Chemists accidentally discover a way to convert carbon dioxide into ethanol
Last year, nearly 38.2 billion tons of carbon dioxide were pumped into the air from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil.
But scientists have come up with a way to convert the gas into a more useful product – ethanol.
The researchers stumbled upon the simple reaction by accident, but if the process could be scaled up to industrial size, it could help to reduce the effects of global warming.
THE CATALYST The researchers created a catalyst – a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction - made of carbon, copper and nitrogen.
When voltage was applied, the catalyst... read more
- 05:25 Trial of doctor, 85, puts Spain in dock over ‘stolen babies’
- 05:25 Toronto pay-what-you-can store aims to tackle landfills and hunger
- 05:25 London still the most desirable city for overseas workers
- 05:16 Where to celebrate National Heritage Day in Burton, Uttoxeter,...
- 05:08 The golden rule
- 05:04 Here's how your charity can get a free website designed by 77...
- 04:54 Co-op Funeralcare undertakers' fury over huge pay cut or redundancy...
- 04:54 Golfer bags hole-in-one while completing gruelling 10 rounds in one...
- 04:54 Scot stunned after pal flies 4000 miles to tell him 'you're it' in...
- 04:54 'Limbs in the loch' monster William Beggs must die in jail says...
- 04:54 Roadchef workers hope 20-year battle over unpaid millions will...
- 04:54 Family honour 92-year-old D-Day survivor after fatal motorbike crash
- 04:54 'It bit and tore into my arm' Postman tells of terrifying ordeal as...
- 04:50 English bulldog Zsa Zsa scoops World's Ugliest Dog top prize
- 04:40 Prince William continues Middle East tour
- 04:20 Stormy Daniels 'to meet prosecutors on Michael Cohen case'
- 04:14 Doctor on trial over Spain 'stolen babies' scandal
- 04:14 The Indian actresses caught in a US 'prostitution' racket
- 04:14 Burning Cameroon: Images you're not meant to see
- 03:56 Big Partnership in bumper bonus pay-out
- 03:53 Donald Hall, US poet laureate and prize-winning man of letters,...
- 03:53 Roseanne Barr apologises in teary interview: 'I've made myself a...
- 03:47 Hollywood film wants YOU to star alongside Margot Robbie and get paid
- 03:08 NSW display class, style and flamboyance in State of Origin win
- 03:07 What’s in a wink? Lessons from Clinton, Corbyn and Rihanna
- 02:41 'I trusted my daughter's abuser with my life'
- 02:41 Scottish trade delegation heads to Berlin
- 02:41 Questions over Swansea Bay tidal lagoon decision delay
- 02:36 'New Zealand wants you': the problem with tech at the edge of the...
- 02:22 'Shakespeare would recognise this theatre... except the scaffolding'