Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is taking on extensive new executive powers following his outright election victory in Sunday's poll.
Parliament has been weakened and the post of prime minister abolished, as measures approved in a controversial referendum last year take effect.
Defeated opposition candidate Muharrem Ince said Turkey was now entering a dangerous period of "one-man rule".
Mr Erdogan polled nearly 53% in the most fiercely fought election in years.
Mr Ince received just 31%, despite a lively campaign attracting huge crowds.
Mr Erdogan has presided over a strong... read more
- 11:14 Auctioneers want your letters of support for Louth Cattle Market plans
- 11:14 Benny the beluga whale spotted swimming in River Thames again
- 11:14 Children lured cat out from under car to set dog on it to kill it
- 11:13 Loss of green space leads to refusal of homes on school site
- 11:13 Neighbourhood plan helps end long-running homes bid
- 11:13 Early season struggles continue for Chasetown FC after defeat at...
- 11:11 Man wanted after 23-year-old robbed and assaulted at Cleethorpes...
- 11:11 Pitch scheme withdrawn
- 11:11 Flats plan for ex-care centre in Kirkby
- 11:11 Auctioneers want your letters of support for Louth Cattle Market plans
- 11:10 PCSOs inspire Riddings youngsters to cycle to school
- 11:10 Ryder Cup TV and news: Rory McIlroy, Captain America, today’s...
- 11:10 The White Company could be coming to former Wilko store in Beverley
- 11:09 FIFA 19: Eden Hazard, Mohamed Salah and Paul Pogba make best...
- 11:09 Book review: Running Upon The Wires, by Kate Tempest
- 11:08 Loss of green space leads to refusal of homes on school site
- 11:08 Neighbourhood plan helps end long-running homes bid
- 11:08 Sheffield homes with something special to offer
- 11:08 Taxi rules in Leeds and West Yorkshire ‘should be harmonised’
- 11:08 Third UK case of monkeypox diagnosed at Blackpool Victoria Hospital
- 11:07 New homes being launched at Wellingborough’s Stanton Cross development
- 11:07 Kylie Minogue becomes railway announcer for BBC Music Day
- 11:06 Judi Dench defends Kevin Spacey, criticising his 'extrusion from...
- 11:05 Third UK case of monkeypox diagnosed at Blackpool Victoria Hospital
- 11:05 First glimpse of Flamingo Land's baby red panda
- 11:04 Man arrested after cannabis farm found in Doncaster’s Open All...
- 11:04 Pictures of vintage day fun at Crich Tramway Village
- 11:03 Second Brexit vote ‘hypothetical’, say Labour frontbenchers
- 11:02 Six clubs battle for Super League places as Qualifiers reach crazy...
- 11:02 Donkey farmer blasts cruel keepers who kicked and punched the...