Tunisia: Curfew imposed as protests escalate
Rallies against high unemployment echo start of Arab Spring
TUNISIA imposed a nationwide overnight curfew yesterday as protests over youth unemployment spread across the country.
In an echo of the 2010 popular uprising that heralded the start of the Arab Spring, a wave of unrest has rocked the country since the death of a young unemployed man on Sunday.
University graduate Ridha Yahyaoui was electrocuted in the city of Kasserine as he climbed an electricity pylon to protest at his rejection from a government job.
His comrades said he was blacklisted from all civil service posts for his... read more
- 01:39 YP letters: Battling to find funds for local needs
- 01:31 Andrew Broad resigns as minister following allegations of...
- 01:19 YP Letters: Respect our shopworkers at busy time of year
- 01:09 Saudi Arabia condemns US Senate 'interference'
- 01:09 The Yorkshire Post says: “Dickensian picture” of poverty is deeply...
- 01:09 Plan for Brexit needed now
- 01:09 YP Letters: Get behind the Prime Minister’s deal to get us out of...
- 01:07 Sudoku 4245 easy
- 01:07 NFL wrap: Steelers top Pats while Bears make playoffs for first...
- 00:47 HS2: MPs had 'enormously wrong' cost estimate, says whistleblower
- 00:46 FCA under fire over Lloyds compensation scheme
- 00:42 Canadian officials visit second citizen detained in China
- 00:40 'My sleepless nights over Sandra Bullock's blindfold'
- 00:40 Narendra Modi: Is hardline Hindu politics failing India's PM?
- 00:40 Letter from Africa: How Nigeria's elite avoid 'bad education'
- 00:39 WhatsApp update will stop you spreading vicious and potentially...
- 00:33 ‘Bowing to the fans’ - Salzburg coach tweets praise for Celtic and...
- 00:27 Workers get new rights in overhaul but zero-hours contracts remain
- 00:25 'I gave myself two weeks to come up with a business idea'
- 00:23 Peter Wright out of World Darts Championship in surprise defeat
- 00:18 Many pupils in England hungry and badly clothed, say teachers
- 00:16 Restaurant insolvencies jump as diners stay at home
- 00:16 Manchester moor fires exposed people to ‘shocking’ levels of...
- 00:16 Nuisance call bosses face £500,000 fine
- 00:14 Former Louth DJ dons a frock for pantomime at Skegness
- 23:50 New EU referendum would break faith with Britons, May to warn MPs
- 23:46 Jose Mourinho admits SIX Liverpool players beat his Manchester...
- 23:35 Australia settle for hockey World Cup bronze after thrashing England
- 23:28 Two-thirds of teachers think of quitting over bad behaviour, survey...
- 23:24 European round-up: Barça go clear at top thanks to Lionel Messi...