Trillion-ton iceberg bigger than Norfolk broke off from Antarctica
New images show an enormous iceberg bigger than Norfolk and weighing a trillion-tons has broken off from an ice shelf in Antarctica.
The continent is currently in darkness during the Southern Hemisphere winter, allowing the Thermal Infrared Sensor (TIRS) on a NASA satellite to capture the 2,240 square mile iceberg that split off from the Antarctic Peninsula earlier this month.
The giant iceberg, called A-68, broke away from Larsen C ice shelf – the fourth largest in the world – some time between July 10 and July 12.
Larsen C is almost 19,000 square miles and the massive iceberg’s split from... read more
- 23:26 Boy, 15, plotting Columbine-style massacre in Yorkshire jailed for...
- 23:28 German bus knife attack leaves several wounded
- 23:28 Italy's Salvini sues anti-mafia writer for 'underworld' jibe
- 23:26 Here are our favourite pictures from the Astronomy Photographer of...
- 23:26 When is the lunar eclipse during July 2018 and is it a Blood Moon?
- 23:28 Nine US 'duck boat' victims from the same family - governor
- 23:28 Israel carries out Gaza strikes as soldier dies from gunshot
- 23:26 Severely distressed husky locked in car ‘for two hours’ collapses...
- 23:26 Two boys, 15, named after being jailed for plotting...
- 23:28 Trump 'secretly recorded discussing payment to Playboy model'
- 23:26 Cow headbutts man and breaks his jaw
- 10:57 Work starts on bridge damaged by Storm Desmond
- 23:26 Al Qaeda bomb-maker jailed for life after plotting knife attack...
- 23:26 Baby born in Chick-Fil-A restroom gets free nuggets for life
- 23:26 Does cooking kill listeria and what are the symptoms to look out for?
- 23:26 Circus act ‘hits clown’ after being blasted from cannon
- 23:26 Donald Trump’s lawyer secretly recorded president discussing...
- 23:26 ‘#ElonMuskDidNothingWrong’: Elon Musk’s ‘pedo guy’ Twitter outburst...
- 10:53 Forfar boss Jim Weir looking for players to build on display in...
- 10:53 Montrose boss Stewart Petrie maintaining mantra despite winning...
- 23:26 Derbyshire shopkeeper will keep selling Golliwogs because ‘they...
- 23:26 Amesbury Novichok victim Charlie Rowley released from hospital
- 10:53 Toulon was perfect preparation for new season, says Jason Kerr
- 23:26 Union tells government to declare rail ‘crisis’ as national emergency
- 10:53 East Fife need to turn chances into goals
- 23:26 ‘Pedophile said he “fell in love” with victim, 8, “the first time...
- 10:53 Cowdenbeath v Cove Rangers is not a grudge match, says Gary Bollan
- 23:26 Man jailed for exposing himself to women at a bus stop
- 10:53 Raith Rovers hoping to be on the right end of a cup shock
- 23:26 Woman-beater made victim’s toddler son stab her with steak knife