Treasury ‘can’t promise help if Scottish budget changes hit tax allowances’
The Chief Secretary to the Treasury has said she “can’t make any promises” on whether Westminster will always be able to help if changes made by the Scottish Government impact on people’s tax allowances.
While Liz Truss told MSPs “the Treasury always likes to be helpful”, she could not provide a guarantee this would always be the case as she said it would have to consider the “budgetary implications”.
It comes after a deal was agreed between the Scottish and UK governments to prevent Scots losing out on the married couples allowance.
The allowance lets married couples, and those in civil... read more
- 06:07 Childhood obesity rates in Hartlepool are among the highest in England
- 06:07 Hartlepool students return from African adventure with new outlook...
- 06:07 Chelsea news: Blues could LOSE ‘unhappy’ N’Golo Kante due to...
- 06:02 Helen Martin: Bosses! You need to listen to your frontline staff
- 06:02 Robert Aldridge: Jacob Rees-Mogg still insists on ‘Tinkerbell Brexit’
- 06:02 New hires broaden boundaries at tech firm
- 06:02 MPs push for research on antimicrobial resistance
- 06:02 Brian Monteith: Embattled Theresa May tangled up in her own red lines
- 06:02 Labour calls for end to cashpoint charges
- 06:02 Axe council tax to secure budget deal, demand Greens
- 06:00 Jayne Dowle: Fear of Yorkshire’s strengths reveals Westminster’s...
- 06:00 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:59 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:56 US throws diplomatic support behind Macedonia name change
- 05:52 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:48 Andy Dalton hair: NFL Twitter fans LOVE Cincinnati Bengals star’s...
- 05:48 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:45 Skyscanner’s Williams invests in Kindaba venture
- 05:44 Bootle is 150 years old and this is why people are so proud of it
- 05:44 Beaten, urinated on and sexually assaulted - calls to protect...
- 05:44 Sexting, guns and racial abuse - why so many Mersey kids are...
- 05:38 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 05:38 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:37 Addict stole baby clothes to fund heroin habit, court is told
- 05:34 Here’s what the weather holds in store for us this fine Monday
- 05:26 Scott Morrison's national apology to Australian survivors and...
- 05:25 Steph Curry fuels conspiracy theories as Panthers overturn 17 point...
- 05:19 YEP says: Let’s hear it for our Leeds curry houses this National...
- 05:19 NHS trusts braced for worse winter than last year
- 05:18 David Beckham and Victoria in home raid terror as masked thugs try...