Travel chaos as largest rail strikes in 20 years get underway across UK
Commuters are expected to face travel chaos today as the largest rail strikes in 20 years get underway across Britain.
People are expected to face large-scale disruption due to strikes against five operators in disputes over the role of guards.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) on Southern, South Western Railway (SWR) and Greater Anglia are due to strike today and Thursday while a 24-hour walkout will be held at Merseyrail and Arriva Rail North later today.
Many services will not be affected, but others will be cancelled, replaced by buses or busier than normal.
The... read more
- 04:46 Nuno pays Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho a compliment as star...
- 04:46 Latest twist in Birmingham City's FFP wrangle as Leeds chief sends...
- 04:43 Syracuse New York shooting 'leaves seven injured'
- 04:41 £5million work on 2 major Leicester junctions is starting soon
- 04:32 Kerryn Phelps backflips to preference Liberals over Labor in...
- 04:16 Australia could launch legal challenge to Japan's 'scientific'...
- 04:15 Jair Bolsonaro: Why Brazilian women are saying #NotHim
- 03:51 Amazon's Alexa knows what you forgot and can guess what you're...
- 03:50 Susie Dent reveals the origins of English rainy-day phrases
- 03:50 UKIP bids to be 'radical, populist' party
- 03:08 Cat killer mystery solved, but how do we keep our pets safe?
- 03:01 US imposes sanctions on China for buying Russian weapons
- 02:56 Brexit: 'No deal' without EU compromise, says Grayling
- 02:55 Australia emu video investigated for 'horrific cruelty'
- 02:12 Knife crime: Can Chicago's model cure London's violence?
- 01:48 Syria war: Seized foreign IS fighters 'must be taken home'
- 01:48 Suge Knight faces 28 years in jail after admitting manslaughter
- 01:47 'I gave birth, and got Hepatitis C'
- 01:45 Universities warned over potentially misleading claims
- 01:38 Imprisoned suffragette letter discovered
- 01:36 Mission implausible: Russians mock improbable spy duo
- 01:28 Reality Check: Holyhead's Brexit dilemma
- 01:20 Was Prezzo Salisbury poisoning a hoax?
- 01:20 Strictly dancers to go on strike?
- 01:15 Morrison defends $1.2bn 'slush fund' for Catholic and independent...
- 01:15 British museums face fight to gain control of Titanic artefacts
- 00:58 All the plastic you can and cannot recycle
- 00:55 Why is IVF so popular in Denmark?
- 00:54 How China's GPS 'rival' Beidou is plotting to go global
- 00:53 Anthony Joshua feeling 'tons of pressure' but will find a way to...