Tory government have slashed children's centre funding in Liverpool by HALF
The Tory government has slashed HALF of funding for children’s centres aimed at giving children “the best start in life” in Liverpool.
Sure Start centres were introduced in 1998 to support parents of under-fives with early learning, childcare, drop-in activities and advice on parenting, employment and other services.
They were put under the control of local councils in the 2000s - and, when the Conservative-Lib Dem coalition came to power in 2010, it refused to ring-fence Sure Start funding.
Since then, council budgets have been cut by more than a quarter.
Now, new analysis of annual... read more
- 06:47 Dol-y-Moch: Re-living childhood days at the 'slimy lake'
- 06:47 Gareth Shaw: If you’re not claiming marriage allowance, why not?
- 06:47 Susan Dalgety: Embrace legacy of Otis and Elvis in the name of freedom
- 06:47 Child-friendly gigs praised by parents
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: There’s a sinister side to Sturgeon’s new Catalan friend
- 06:47 Rare 50p coin sells for staggering £840 on eBay
- 06:47 Stephen Jardine: I was wrong about the future of restaurants
- 06:47 Watch: Moment police raid Nuneaton home and find thousands of...
- 06:47 Thatcher ‘Eurosceptic’ speech was never meant to be anti-EU,...
- 06:47 Foreign Secretary calls on Nato members to increase defence spending
- 06:47 MPs visit farm to highlight ‘crisis’ of berry picker shortage
- 06:47 Brian Wilson: The weakness of May and Corbyn has been exposed
- 06:47 John McLellan: The blood on the Brexit carpet can’t be ignored
- 06:47 Johnny Vegas reveals dramatic weight loss after split from wife
- 06:47 Jane Bradley: The sad end of this sporting life
- 06:47 Leader comment: Girl Guide badges to include actual Moon-walking?
- 06:47 This is when all the new Cathedral Lanes restaurants are opening
- 06:47 Girlguides ditch home making for mixology in culture change
- 06:47 Long-term CJD survivor at centre of legal protection battle
- 06:47 Person injured 'by falling object' near Coventry city centre - recap
- 06:47 Now That’s What I Call Music! hits 100th edition
- 06:47 Watch: Rare 200mph supercar cruises along M40
- 06:46 Breathing space: Helping Hull get rid of its unwanted UK’s least...
- 06:47 The five things which will happen when Prince Philip dies
- 06:47 Man found guilty of hunting hares with a dog in Derbyshire
- 06:46 The painstaking work adorning churches and cathedrals across Yorkshire
- 06:47 Six beds ‘blocked’ in Derbyshire hospitals per day
- 06:46 Big interview: TV presenter Charlie Webster on her near-death ordeal
- 06:47 Face of drug addict who dragged woman along road in carjacking
- 06:46 Liverpool transfer news: Real Madrid plot hijack, Chelsea flop also...