Tories in battle with Brussels over crime powers
HOME Secretary Theresa May is set to confirm today that the UK will look to opt out of 130 EU-wide crime, justice and policing policies, risking a deepening row with coalition partners the Liberal Democrats.
The move was welcomed by Conservative MPs who had previously demanded an opt-out, with Prime Minister David Cameron facing growing pressure from anti-EU Tories unhappy with the current relationship with Europe.
But critics warned such a move could assist criminals through the scrapping of European arrest warrants – one of the measures included.
Rotherham MP Denis MacShane, former... read more
- 19:48 Melbourne Cup hope Withhold may need prep race in Australia to get...
- 19:47 Police hunting flasher at Acocks Green Railway Station release...
- 19:47 This is why the pound endured a rollercoaster day today
- 19:47 Arsenal stars to BLAME for Arsene Wenger's departure: Per...
- 19:44 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:43 Colombia continues to break records for cocaine production, report...
- 19:41 TV surgeon and girlfriend ‘drugged and raped up over 1,000 women’
- 19:40 Momentum won't block second Brexit vote debate at Labour conference
- 19:39 Who is Charlie Lakin? The lowdown on Birmingham City ace making...
- 19:39 Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood obsessed over 'racist and rude'...
- 19:34 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:32 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:31 14,158-strong petition opposes proposed urgent care changes in...
- 19:29 Luxury Briefing
- 19:29 Stealth luxury: falling for the Volkswagen Arteon (sponsored)
- 19:27 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:27 Donald Trump urged Spain to 'build the wall' – across the Sahara
- 19:24 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:24 Stevenage FC footballers in door-to-door support plea
- 19:22 Technology problems plague video link setup after closure of courts
- 19:21 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:19 Bus driver ‘kisses and gropes’ teenage passenger while sitting in...
- 19:13 Watch as paddling pool 'flies' up a Sunderland street during Storm Ali
- 19:13 'Isis will be looking for targets': guns and fear mark Afghan Ashura
- 19:13 ‘Laughable’: $2 Newstart increase won't help with cost of living,...
- 19:13 AMA president calls for urgent transfer of refugee families from Nauru
- 19:13 Salisbury's saga: the spy, the supermodel, the strychnine – and...
- 19:13 TV’s Stuart becomes a new author
- 19:12 Young Boys vs Man Utd LIVE: Team news and updates from Champions...
- 19:12 Charity cleans up with car wash