Top 10 parallel narratives
What makes a novel a novel? The word comes from the Latin novus, meaning new, via the Italian novella storia, “new story”, so it can seem a contradiction in terms when someone protests that a book “is not a novel”. The very term suggests something original, unfamiliar – and yet one knows what the disappointed reader means. The parts don’t add up to a satisfying whole; the new story feels too disjointed or unfinished; the two or eight or 28 chapters don’t sufficiently cohere.
For many novelists, however, it’s precisely a traditional sense of continuity and completion that one simultaneously... read more
- 11:40 When Ed Sheeran tickets will go on sale for his 2019 UK tour dates
- 11:40 Carnival aim to boost Trinity at the double
- 11:40 Business support session comes to the Fylde
- 11:40 New Blackpool business aims to get the party started
- 11:39 Schools in Northampton, Wellingborough and Kettering urged to raise...
- 11:39 Lancaster’s 2018 business Expo set to be one of county’s best
- 11:38 Schools in Northampton, Wellingborough and Kettering urged to raise...
- 11:38 Charity match set for return in memory of Leeds United fan
- 11:36 Whisky giant Diageo sees profits knocked
- 11:36 Skegness nightclub impresario sets up EIGHT ft Buddha as...
- 11:35 ‘Mystery donor will change my daughter’s life’
- 11:34 Derbyshire mum-of-four and wife of Sheffield Wednesday fitness...
- 11:33 Christmas comes early at Co-op as mince pies go on sale due to...
- 11:33 This week’s fascinating slideshow of Worksop’s past
- 11:32 3D-printed gun pioneer Cody Wilson charged with sexual assault
- 11:31 Come and write for Junior Gazette!
- 11:31 Man Utd news: Paul Pogba reveals how team-mates reacted to Diogo...
- 11:30 Tributes paid to Frank, owner of YH Training
- 11:30 Council in bid to buy Scarborough's Travelodge
- 11:30 All change as two new senior appointments made at Stoke Rochford...
- 11:29 Wilfried Zaha slams Manchester United treatment and reveals why he...
- 11:28 County Council's Transport department tops the charts for complaints
- 11:27 Pop megastar Ed Sheeran confirms two concerts in Roundhay Park,...
- 11:26 Small Harrogate shop's 'cut rates and rents' plea
- 11:26 Pop megastar Ed Sheeran confirms two concerts in Roundhay Park,...
- 11:25 Small Harrogate shop's 'cut rates and rents' plea
- 11:25 MIRA driverless car track plan for Bosworth battlefield set for...
- 11:25 'Nigeria Air' national airline plans put on hold
- 11:24 Residential roads to close in Kenilworth for roadworks
- 11:23 Slaves beaten and fed dry pasta in "brutal" treatment by sick family