Tony Blair nearly quit as PM 'to seek presidency of European Commission'
The diaries of Alastair Campbell, Mr Blair's high-profile director of communications, suggest Mr Blair sounded out the likes of then French president Jacques Chirac and then German chancellor Gerhard Schroder on the possibility of him taking over the top job in Europe.
Serialised in The New European, Mr Campbell claims that Mr Blair only abandoned the plan because he feared he was being driven out of office by the well documented battle between Mr Blair and his then chancellor Gordon Brown.
Mr Campbell's diaries also claim that Mr Blair openly talked about quitting on the night he won his... read more
- 08:53 Deer 'stuck' in River Soar prompts 4 fire engines into action
- 08:53 Aston Villa step up preparations for the 2018/19 campaign
- 08:53 This is why there are no World Cup fan zones in Birmingham
- 08:53 This is where released goalkeeper Boaz Myhill could pitch up after...
- 08:51 Gossip: West Ham’s Wilshere concern?
- 08:51 Yorkshire QCs warn justice system is at ‘breaking point’
- 08:51 Uruguay team news: Predicted Uruguay line up vs Russia – Key...
- 08:51 Lord Inglewood named as new chairman of Cumbria LEP
- 08:51 Man arrested after alleged handgun incident in town centre
- 08:50 Child airlifted to hospital with head injuries after cliff fall
- 08:49 Lord Inglewood named as new chairman of Cumbria LEP
- 08:48 As Federer and Djokovic lose, what’s the state of play for Wimbledon?
- 08:48 Amber Valley Soroptimists’ fashion fundraiser
- 08:48 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:48 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink
- 08:46 Dog attacks 'major concern' for postal workers after 2,300...
- 08:45 This is why there are no World Cup matches being played this Friday
- 08:45 Major survey of Solihull's roads for £2 million safety projects
- 08:44 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:44 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:44 Single first-time buyers need over a decade to raise a deposit -...
- 08:43 Man Utd transfer news: Mourinho ‘wants rid’ of midfielder to seal...
- 08:43 Public help police to chase down wanted Doncaster man
- 08:43 Timber causing disruption for M62 users on morning commute in Leeds
- 08:43 Sheffield among worst places in country for dog attacks on postal...
- 08:42 Lancashire County Council u-turn after unions force cuts rethink
- 08:42 Thunderstorm asthma deaths: only three victims had disease 'action...
- 08:40 Revealed: Wigan's 'nuisance neighbour' epidemic
- 08:39 Chelsea star Eden Hazard reportedly offered himself to Real Madrid...
- 08:39 Jet 2 slam 'appalling and disruptive' behaviour of stag party...