Timeline: Stephen Hawking
Jan 8 1942
Born in Oxford, England (300 years after the death of Galileo).
1953 to 1958
Attends St Albans school in North London, where he develops a passion for mathematics. His father wants him to study medicine.
1959 to 1962
Specialises in physics at University College Oxford. Graduates with a first class degree in natural sciences.
Begins research in cosmology and general relativity at the University of Cambridge. He is diagnosed with an "incurable disease" at the age of 21, which is later found to be Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, a rare progressive disease that effects... read more
- 01:51 Loneliness a ‘major public health concern’ a number of isolated...
- 01:35 David Attenborough says BBC should prioritise arts
- 01:25 US man, 74, found alive days after fire in Washington DC
- 01:22 Labour threat to vote against Theresa May's Brexit plan
- 01:20 Paul Gascoigne's nephew self-medicated with internet drugs, mother...
- 01:16 Two staff at Market Rasen school resign after 'romp on...
- 01:14 Natalie Bennett: Appetite for a democratic revolution
- 01:14 Andrew Vine: Labour MPs can’t keep on dodging questions about...
- 01:11 Fatal plane crash: Queensland pilot may have lost control due to...
- 01:11 Elderly man found alive inside building five days after it burned down
- 01:00 Domestic abuse victims 'failed' by private probation service
- 00:59 Raptor crime report sparks fresh calls for grouse moor licensing
- 00:56 Letter from Africa: Why I was sentenced to 5,000 years in jail
- 00:56 Reality Check: The worst place to be stranded at sea?
- 00:50 Why an authentic taste of India is going down so well for Gokul...
- 00:47 Labour wants green energy to power most UK homes by 2030
- 00:46 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:45 Labour peer Charles Falconer apologises over war on drugs
- 00:44 Sudoku 4,174 medium
- 00:41 Dellen Millard killed father as he slept and inherited millions
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: TV at its very best. The 60th anniversary...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural indifference. Main parties neglect...
- 00:32 The Yorkshire Post says: The three-way Brexit battle. Deep...
- 00:27 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:27 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:26 Lincolnshire’s Chief Constable warns of ‘stark choices’ ahead if...
- 00:24 'I'm not going anywhere': Kavanaugh defends himself on Fox News
- 00:16 Jenna lowers her tone to keep up royal ‘addiction’
- 00:14 Lewis Crocker: Protestant boxer's payout over discrimination claim
- 00:13 Debenhams attempts to 'bring joy back' to High Street