Thumbs up to women bishops, but no gay marriage, says next archbishop
THE next Archbishop of Canterbury has said he is "utterly optimistic" about the future of the Church of England, in spite of the "hard issues" it faces on women bishops and sexuality.
The Rt Rev Justin Welby, Bishop of Durham, spoke of the “massive sense of privilege” of being responsible for the leadership of the Church of England as Downing Street confirmed his appointment as successor to Dr Rowan Williams.
He said: “To be nominated to this post is both astonishing and exciting. It is something I never expected, and the last few weeks have been a very strange... read more
- 18:50 Drivers warned of delays after crash on busy Sunderland road
- 18:44 Investor says sorry for huge losses
- 18:43 John Allen Chau: Who was US man killed in remote islands?
- 18:42 Warehouse worker seriously injured after fall
- 18:42 West Brom coach makes this bold claim - and Aston Villa and Leeds...
- 18:41 Threat to May subsides but Commons vote could trigger new push
- 18:41 LOTTO RESULTS: Winning National Lottery numbers for Wednesday...
- 18:41 Amazon hit with major data breach days before Black Friday
- 18:40 Scottish ski centre plans to introduce tree skiing (and snowboarding)
- 18:37 Police and ambulance rush to incident in Boston
- 18:36 Premier League rejects FA proposal to increase homegrown quotas
- 18:36 Tom Scudamore fit and on course to ride Thistlecrack in Betfair Chase
- 18:32 Family ‘overwhelmed’ by generosity of public who offered support...
- 18:32 Celtic to boycott Rangers away clash? Why fans could miss out on...
- 18:32 "Are you taking the p***?": Customers accuse McDonald's of false...
- 18:32 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:29 Ex-Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner to serve 50-day prison sentence...
- 18:27 Wellesbourne to become a world centre for driverless cars
- 18:27 UK universities urged to review ties with UAE over jailing of academic
- 18:26 Power cut affects Sheffield retail park
- 18:26 Council to spend £325,000 on organisation aiming to bridge skills...
- 18:26 Universal Credit in Doncaster: Warning over potential £24 million...
- 18:25 Scots druid and witch pals in court after trespassing at Stonehenge
- 18:25 Apple supplier to slash expenses amid concern over iPhone sales
- 18:24 Sugary supplement mannose could help fight cancer
- 18:24 Chicago doctor killed by ex-fiance called police to report she...
- 18:24 Lockerbie: police find no criminality in way inquiry was handled
- 18:22 The man who mapped the Munros - before Hugh Munro
- 18:22 Two men killed while assisting driver of overturned car on A20
- 18:21 First ever plane with no moving parts takes flight