‘This is the 275th day of our hunger strike’
STEVE SWEENEY meets with Semih Ozakca, a symbol of resistance against Erdogan’s tyranny
THE photograph above epitomises how desperate the situation has become in Turkey.
I met primary school teacher Semih Ozakca in Ankara last Friday. He has been on hunger strike for 278 days since he was purged from his post.
Along with Nuriye Gulmen, Ozakca has become a symbol of resistance in Turkey. Their hunger strike has aimed to draw attention to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s crackdown on public-sector workers, with more than 100,000 sacked since the failed coup attempt of July 2016.
Ozakca has... read more
- 16:05 Appeal to private landlords to help house Melton’s vulnerable families
- 16:05 New Zealand’s prime minister makes history after bringing newborn...
- 16:04 Spotlighting obesity link to cancer
- 16:04 Woman with terminal cancer's urgent plea to rehome 40 cats
- 16:04 Two men face trial over alleged stabbing in Sunderland's Hylton Road
- 16:03 Ryanair to cancel 190 flights on Friday across Europe
- 16:02 Commemorative paving stones laid in honour of Leamington heroes of...
- 16:02 Man Utd vs Derby TV channel, live stream, kick-off time, odds...
- 16:02 Councillors clash over social care budgets in Bucks
- 16:01 Police find cannabis worth £150,000 after Coventry house fire
- 16:01 Splendour Festival, Rescue Rooms and Pale Waves at Dot To Dot all...
- 16:00 Woman with terminal cancer's urgent plea to rehome 40 cats
- 16:00 Spotlighting obesity link to cancer
- 16:00 'Spiderman' balcony rescue: Father of dangling child given...
- 15:59 Brighton Labour council candidate sent ‘deeply offensive...
- 15:59 Appeal launched over reports man 'touched himself' on morning train
- 15:59 Three paralysed patients begin to walk again thanks to electrical...
- 15:58 Contaminated blood scandal inquiry urged to look 'into department...
- 15:57 Demolition of Brighouse showroom would see new development built
- 15:57 Day of free activities comes to Theatre by the Lake
- 15:56 Woman with terminal cancer's urgent plea to rehome 40 cats
- 15:55 Elderly Spanish couple found in Oviedo park after flat eviction
- 15:55 Trump: US stronger, safer, richer
- 15:55 Commemorative paving stones laid in honour of Leamington heroes of...
- 15:55 Bali bans bikinis at sacred temples saying the ‘quality of...
- 15:54 Dad on trial accused of stabbing own toddler son
- 15:54 A TV channel showing nothing but Christmas films has been launched
- 15:54 13-year-old Leeds girl sexually assaulted in ginnel by man who...
- 15:54 Police hunt gang after 'demolition derby' ramming attack on two...
- 15:54 New challenge for Lancaster hospice fundraisers