Thieves force council to allow free parking in parts of Leicester city centre
Thieves have broken into at least 20 parking meters in the centre of Leicester and stolen thousands of pounds.
The crooks struck earlier this week punching holes through the metal doors of the containers holding the money.
The damage has left the targeted machines out of service meaning drivers are able to park for free as the council has lifted enforcement in the streets and car park affected until the machine can be repaired.
Read More Kitchen of Leicester pub Sports Corner shut after mouse droppings found Leicestershire police are investigating the thefts.
The machines were broken into... read more
- 04:56 Wall Street millionaire scoops top prizes at World Pipe Band Champs...
- 04:56 Demi Lovato painkiller warning as drug deaths linked to...
- 04:41 Turnbull sets out power price fix to stay ahead of Coalition rebellion
- 04:36 'Free Walkers crisps' scam circulating on WhatsApp - here's what to...
- 04:06 Leicestershire Police officer who sexually abused teenage girl to...
- 03:40 Victorian Labor offers half-priced solar panels for homeowners in...
- 03:22 A lost rivalry returns: Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic chase...
- 03:12 Brexit: Government to publish no-deal advice on Thursday
- 02:18 US-Turkey row: Pastor a 'pawn in personal feud'
- 02:18 Ecuador tightens entry rules for Venezuelan migrants
- 01:54 Child passive smoking 'increases chronic lung risk'
- 01:48 Aston Villa's Marc Albrighton keeps feet on ground in hometown...
- 01:30 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 01:06 Resilient travel agents fight back against Airbnb
- 00:59 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:59 Observer sudoku
- 00:57 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:57 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:54 How quinoa is changing farmers' lives in Peru
- 00:52 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:50 West Yorkshire Police makes £1.8m selling uninsured cars: Porsches,...
- 00:50 Vintage bikes theft anguish
- 00:50 Middlesex v Yorkshire: As it happened
- 00:48 Join the latest craze as zero-alcohol spirits are taking Britain's...
- 00:48 The A-word: Bonnie Estridge has Alzheimer's... but life goes on
- 00:43 Yemi Osinbajo: Why Nigeria's favourite leader won't become...
- 00:40 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:40 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:39 Obituary: Bui Tin, the reporter who changed his country's fate
- 00:36 Idris Elba: ‘My ambition is boundless’