‘They’ve got the money but we’ve got the power’
CHRIS WILLIAMSON talks to Ben Cowles about neoliberalism and its effects in Latin America
WHAT is there left to say about austerity? I can barely conjure up the energy to write about it. The hideousness of stripping vital funding away from everything a society needs to function is as self-evident as Boris Johnson’s narcissism.
It seems I’m not alone in feeling this way. Even the Tories don’t talk about it anymore. Nor do they even try to justify it with perverse economic arguments and backwards logic. Instead, austerity has this Voldemort-like quality to it whereby the Tories dare not speak... read more
- 13:15 Chelsea transfer news: Defender deal agreed despite managerial...
- 13:15 When Hammonds in Hull will close as House of Fraser shuts 31 stores
- 13:14 Wonder what Saido Berahino makes of this very telling Harry Kane stat
- 13:14 Wolves among favourites to sign Premier League defender
- 13:14 Morrisons is making yet another big change to the way you shop
- 13:14 Rihanna and Cardi B pay tribute to murdered teen
- 13:14 Iran economic protests shut Tehran's Grand Bazaar
- 13:14 Wigan fraudster who stole £370k for lavish lifestyle jailed
- 13:13 Car crashes into group of people outside church for funeral
- 13:13 From Tommy Hutchison to Stern John: The story of Coventry City and...
- 13:13 Here's what Coventry City's League One rivals have been doing in...
- 13:12 This is what happens to all the cannabis seized by West Midlands...
- 13:12 Fifth Art in the Park festival in Leamington will have tree theme
- 13:12 Fire crews criticise deliberate fires started in Kenilworth
- 13:11 Teenage girl 'slashed in face' after rushing to help friend under...
- 13:11 Morrisons is rewarding customers who use Tupperware to take home...
- 13:10 Permit Patty: Woman 'calls police' on eight-year-old for selling water
- 13:08 UK epilepsy drug set to be first cannabis-based medicine on US market
- 13:08 Burton as hot as the Sahara as heatwave officially arrives
- 13:08 Cancer patients face 'absurd' travel insurance costs
- 13:05 Construction of new council houses begins in Doncaster
- 13:04 Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
- 13:03 Appeal after vandal hurls bright orange paint over car in Leeds
- 13:03 Baby covered in red birthmarks after surviving a stroke when he...
- 13:02 Pub and shop 'in lockdown' after man seen brandishing a knife in...
- 13:01 Manchester United line up transfer move for want-away Real Madrid...
- 13:01 Busy Melton town centre road to close for up to three weeks
- 12:59 Travel: Balbirnie House Hotel, Markinch, Fife
- 12:58 Former Sheffield man jailed for historic sex offences against girl
- 12:58 Dua Lipa puts on a leggy display in thigh-high cowboy boots and...