These are the people who still cannot vote in the UK
0 Have your say The right to vote is afforded to the majority of the population of the UK, but there are still demographics to whom it remains off limits.
On February 6, 100 years since the Representation of the People Act was passed - when women were first given the right to vote in the UK, here are the people who still cannot vote in the UK.
READ MORE: 100 years on: Celebrating today's suffragettes in Lancashire
Rules from the Electoral Commission state that to vote in the UK, you must be aged 18 or over on polling day.
In Scotland, people 16 or over can vote in local elections,... read more
- 02:49 Boys should get HPV jab to protect against cancer, health advisers say
- 02:49 Work less, get more: New Zealand firm's four-day week an...
- 02:49 Austrian ambassador downplays fears of kosher-halal meat register
- 02:49 Pakistan election: BBC interview with Dawn newspaper boss stirs...
- 02:49 Would or wouldn't: how Trump's claim he misspoke unleashed a meme-fest
- 02:49 'Absurd, crazy': Trump discussed allowing Putin to interrogate US...
- 02:49 Turkey ends state of emergency after two years
- 02:49 Child sex abuse inquiry fined £200,000 after email blunder
- 02:49 'Nothing short of treason': US voters on the Trump-Putin summit
- 02:49 UNAids chief refuses to quit over handling of sexual misconduct claims
- 02:49 Protests spread through cities in Iraq's oil-rich Shia south
- 02:49 Spain to introduce ‘yes means yes’ sexual consent law
- 02:49 Life before Google: What was it like?
- 02:49 Trump administration hit with lawsuits over inhumane treatment of...
- 02:48 What to take to a festival: Friends, drink... and a giant bar chart
- 02:49 Turkey's state of emergency ends but crackdown continues
- 02:48 The Sheffield estate where the garage has become an art gallery
- 02:49 Zuckerberg defends Facebook users' right to be wrong – even...
- 02:49 Maria Butina: accused spy was in contact with Russian intelligence,...
- 02:48 Heatwave: Is there more crime in hot weather?
- 02:48 Home alone: 'It made me feel that I was unloved'
- 02:49 Trump blames Putin personally for election meddling in latest reversal
- 02:49 Campaigners criticise delay in updating sex education curriculum
- 02:49 VAR a ‘fair way away’ from being used in Football League games
- 02:49 UNC coach says softening of football could bring down America and...
- 02:48 Five charts describe the UK's sensible youth
- 02:49 Teen's limb SEVERED after becoming trapped swimming in Laguna...
- 02:49 Anthony Joshua says he would rather lose than take drugs
- 02:49 Routine treatment for cardiac arrest doubles risk of brain damage –...
- 02:48 Fortnite: Schools 'could learn lessons from gaming'